1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 gaskets

going to inspect the timing chain components before my new to me engine goes in, is the timing cover gasket reuasable if it dosn't stick to block or cover and destroy itself? it is the silicone rubber type stuff like the valve cover and intake gaskets, if it comes off without tearing out of the metal its in then maybe smear some RTV on it before going back on.

alse my new to me engine and tranny came out of an '00 Grand Cherokee, I will be pulling the oil pan to make sure the oil pickup is clean, what am I looking at inside to make sure it is the correct eng to work with my PCM?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

what year is your engine, if you got the see pcm on the jeep it sh ould have the same number of plugs as yours althoughc hances are if you have the 3 plug pcm in your truck it will work, its the ngc (4 plugs on the pcm) that might give you trouble.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 PM
brhodes
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, if a gasket (valve cover, I mean) comes of clean and in one piece, then you can re-use it, just do like you said and put a thin layer of silicone on it before reinstalling.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The valve cover gasket is rubber so it is re-useable if OEM (well at least on the 5.9L so I think it is the same). Just wipe it down and the vlave cover and head mating surface and get a little regular grease between you fingers and wet the rubber gasket and re-install and torque to spec's. Don't use too much grease, just nice and wet.

As for the timing chain cover, that should be a regular gasket in which you will need a new one. Buy a good one and some Permatex Ultra Copper RTV and clean the surfaces REALLY good. I'm pretty sure it is not rubber.

As for the oil pan, that is rubber if I remember correctly.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

shrpshtr: the engine I got for my '00 Durango I got from a '00 GC but the computer and plug had been previosly removed via side cutters so I wasn't able to confirm, since I will have the oil pan off I just want to make sure its obvios if the parts are same not some subtle difference I really have to look for

Hydra: the timing cover gasket on a 4.7 is metal and silicone rubber type stuff. go here http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1955&ppt=C0026 and click on the image to enlarge, the orange is a silicone rubber type product, the non orange is metal to support/hold its shape. since I have 3 engine sitting here I have one timing cover gasket that came of nicely and one that well not so nice cause it stuck to block in some spots and the cover in other spots as I pulled the cover off.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ensure the teeth on the crank shaft are the same as yours. There is a tone ring on the rear of the crank. Pay close attention to this tone ring. Also you can ensure the same cam shaft tone ring as yours on the passenger side is the same as yours. If not that is a different motor and you need to exchange tone rings.

That gasket is a metal gasket with a silicone overlay. I would use the RTV I specified previous as well as the gasket.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 10-26-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional

ok so if the cam tone ring is correct the crank one would be correct as well?

overlay thats the word I was looking for. yes its silicone overlay except where the coolant ports are then its silicone all the way through in those spots, kinda like a silicone gromet I guess where the coolant ports are.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yes they should be correct, but I would make certain they are in fact correct before I even try to install the motor, not to mention pull off the oil pan and replace the oil pump and clean the pick up screen. Also look at the camshaft senor and crank sensors to ensure they will mount up.

Correct, in the coolant port you must ensure that they are flush and there is not pitting. Clean these sections REALLY good (meaning the mating surfaces). I use brake cleaner on a rag and wipe them clean and let dry for a few minutes before placing RTV on them. Make certain you only put just enough and no too much RTV because the RTV will squish out into the port and block it off. Just use enough to make it wet like about a 1/32 bead. Remember that you only have one shot at this, do it right and don't allow the gasket to swing against mounting. I use dowels to ensure they go on flat and perfect. I place dowels into 2 holes and down the threads to ensure they line up and place in 2 starter bolts. Then I let it sit with all the starter bolts for about 30 min - 1 hour then tighten it up and torque in sequence as specified. Final torque i placed after everything looks great.

Quick Reply: 4.7 gaskets