1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Bosch Copper Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:26 AM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bosch Copper Spark Plugs

Hey, I went to Advance and I thought I ordered the Champion Spark Plugs when I ordered over the phone, BUT when I got to the store they had Bosch Copper Plugs for me. Anyone have an history with these plugs?

ALSO, I am doing my tune-up today, any recommendations for replacing the rotor? I have heard it needs to be at a certian direction at a certain degree yada yada yada. Let me know! Thanks (First Tune Up on My D since I have had it, Just got it a week ago)

CORRECTION: Bosch Super Plus Copper Plugs: Premium Copper Core Plus Yttrium

Last edited by TurboStixx; 11-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

take em back and get champion brand plugs, no reason to take chances

the rotor will only fit on in one direction so it doesnt matter where it is when you take it off, make sure the cap and rotor have brass contacts, and that you replace the plug wires at the same time.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM
brhodes
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't really tell you about the plugs, but if the people at the store are that damned incompetent, I'd go elsewhere.

And the rotor will only go on one way. You'll see this if you look at the bottom of your new rotor.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

Ok, taking them back now, On the distibutor Cap I got a Tru-Tech Standard T-Series, Part Number FD175T. Not sure on if it is a copper contact, Couldn't get much info on it, but I know it is painted silver

Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

Originally Posted by brhodes
Can't really tell you about the plugs, but if the people at the store are that damned incompetent, I'd go elsewhere.

And the rotor will only go on one way. You'll see this if you look at the bottom of your new rotor.
The People on the phone are incompetent (the 1-800-Advance number) The people in the store are actually a bunch of nice guys, have helped me out quite a bit lol, but I will never order over the phone again!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

Ok, got the champion plugs, gapping them at .40 as was said in this forum and on advance's computer. Now, my question, I am gapping them and I stop at .40, but it seems like it can go further really easy, goes to .40 really easy, this is normal right? stop at .40 and good to go, I mean it does have some resistance, but not much. Sorry, Can't say I have ever gapped a spark plug, can't say I have ever done a tune up except for on a Lawn Mower! I know I sound dumb, but I appreciate you guy's help, sad part is, I can drop my tranny pan, swapped the filter and do a fluid exchange on it, but I am not sure on tune ups! hahah

Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM
brhodes
Professional

Too wide a gap will cause too much resistance (and therefore too much heat) and will damage the plug, causing it to fail early. You could probably gap it to 80 and still have it fire...for awhile.

[EDIT]

Also, with too much gap, your spark can break down at higher RPM's, though this isn't something you'd necessarily need to be concerned about with a Durango...redline is absurdly low, something like 4500 RPM....these things are built to develop peak torque and HP very low in the RPM range compared to older vehicles. I've build numerous "hot-rods" that didn't hit the peak of their curve until 6 grand, but things are different these days. Mileage concerns, mostly, I think, along with longevity. Not many cars built in the '60's and '70's would make it much past 100k without at least 1 rebuild (rods, mains, and rings).

Last edited by brhodes; 11-06-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

ok well I have them gapped at .40, just rolled the toolbox out of the shed, and headed out front to start this endeavor, fingers crossed, I am a pretty smart guy adn pretty mechanically inclined, this shouldn't be so hard! Guess I am just stressed since my Civic is currently out of commision due to a bad catalytic converter and I am waiting for the new one to come in from the factory :-(

Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

.040" is actually the proper gap but I'd like to see you get almost 1/2 an inch out of that gap. LOL

Yes wise choice not going with Bosch, Mopar only recommends Champion plugs in all of their engines. If it goes to .040" easily, push down the gap a little and open up the gap just enough so it reaches .040", remember never bang the spark plug just lightly push down so it closes the gap.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM
brhodes
Professional

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
.040" is actually the proper gap but I'd like to see you get almost 1/2 an inch out of that gap. LOL

Yes wise choice not going with Bosch, Mopar only recommends Champion plugs in all of their engines. If it goes to .040" easily, push down the gap a little and open up the gap just enough so it reaches .040", remember never bang the spark plug just lightly push down so it closes the gap.
This made me chuckle...I've probably gapped a thousand plugs, and until I got one of those cute little gap tools with the bender built into it, I doubt I ever gapped a plug without giving it at least 1 or 2 taps, but things are built differently these days, and maybe it's possible to get something a little off-kilter easier. Still, with the cylinder pressures created when the plug ignites the fuel/air mixture, it seems odd that it can take that, yet they recommend not tapping a plug to close the gap a little.

Quick Reply: Bosch Copper Spark Plugs