1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Sputtering, Idle Jumping, occasional check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Mechaniczman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering, Idle Jumping, occasional check engine light

I have a 1999 5.2L 4X4 Dodge Durango and lately it has been sputtering and hesitating a lot, it has 241,XXX miles on it. In the past seafoam has always fixed the problem but now it doesnt seem to make a difference. It started sputtering really bad and the check engine light came on, it stayed on for a few days and went away it will come and go. As of right now the light is off, and it did sputter while coming down my road. Then when i was letting it idle in my driveway it will idle at 6-700 rpms and about every 30 seconds it will jump up to 1000rpms for a second and go back down to idle.

I thought the TPS sensor was going bad at one point because the rpms would drop when i let off of the gas while driving and go right back up to were they were but it hasnt done it in a while.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 PM
ZCR1
Professional

With that check engine light you should be able to get some codes, that would help with the diagnosis. But just by the symptoms, it sounds like a vacuum leak. The leak makes it run lean and sputter-the lean condition is compensated for by adding fuel-RPMs increase-IAC closes to reduce the RPMs..... The codes will probably be for a misfire as it sputters, but there maybe something else for the Evap system. to get the codes; put the key into the ignition, then turn it to ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and leave it on (don't go to start in this sequence) the codes will be in the odometer window.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

that doesnt work on 99 it only works on 00 and newer trucks

but definitely get the code read otherwise we are just guessing what the problem is, we need more of a starting point.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM
ZCR1
Professional

Hmm, this procedure worked on my old '97 Dakota. I guess they changed it up for a few years, but I thought Dodge always had a way to retrieve codes without a scanner by cycling the ignition, switch holding the odometer reset or some combo to get the CEL to flash the codes before the digital odo.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

nope, unfortunately. however i thought that from 97-99they had no way to do it , and i KNOW it didnt work in my 98 dakota, and my friends 99 durango doesnt work either.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
ZCR1
Professional

This is the procedure; it should be the same for the Durango. (Pre '97 used the flashing CEL) From dakota-truck.net
How to get the codes on a 1997 Dakota:
Put the key in your ignition and turn it to the "on" position three times. (Insert key, on, off, on, off, on). Leave it in the on position. The first trouble code will be displayed on your digital LED odometer. Quickly cycle the key again (off, on) to display the next code, and just keep cycling the key to get the remainder of the codes.

How to get the codes on a 1998-1999 Dakota:
Depress the trip reset and trip/odometer switches, and, while holding them, turn the ignition to ON/RUN, and wait about 5 seconds. This sends the car through a short self-test sequence that lights all segments of the odometer and shift selector read-out (where applicable). It will then display the stored error codes.

Last edited by ZCR1; 11-08-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the procedure for 2000 plus is the same as you list for the 97 except the codes cycle on their own, anyone with a 99 or older D want to try the trip reset button thing and see if it works? if i get confirmation ill add it to the CEL index at the top of the forum.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 AM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most probable causes i would say is a tps cause thats what mine suffered from or a vacuum leak which is the most common. Could be a PITA but with some throttle body cleaner it should be no problem to find a leak somewhere.

Quick Reply: Sputtering, Idle Jumping, occasional check engine light