1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Blower not working: it's NOT the resistor or blower motor? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
alth3655
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower not working: it's NOT the resistor or blower motor? Help.

What's up, fellas?

2001 Durango that I love (except for the 16mpg's that is), and it won't blow any heat.

Last year about this time it was doing the same thing, and I did some research and found out about the resistor. My mechanic took it out and we saw one of the plugs was burnt so we Went and bought a new one at AutoZone for $27, changed it and it worked like new. Last week it started doing the same thing. We checked the resistor again, and the same plug was burnt, we changed it, and this time it didn't work. We checked all of the fuses and those were fine, then we took out the blower motor and connected it to the batter with connector wires and the motor turned instantly.

I have no blower at all, not even on high like most people do when their resistor goes bad.

It sucks that this keeps happening in the cold weather, any ideas on what this might be? My mechanic has a few ideas but he was stumped last night.

Any help is greatly appreciated, all of the searches I've done just keep coming up to change the resistor.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by alth3655; 12-14-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 AM
alth3655
Rookie

PS -- Is there a difference between a "resistor" and a "resistor pack?"

Sorry, i'm no mechanic. I have no speeds for the blower, but we replaces the resistor last night, and tested the blower and it works fine. This is frustrating to say the least.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

resistor and resistor pack are the same in this case

it sounds to me like you have a problem with the wire harness, they are also a potential problem area, if i were you i would check for continuity through the wires, do you get power to the resistor? is there a connection from there to the fan? if not you need to figure out where the wire is off, or broken, and maybe even replace the harness/plug.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:40 PM
alth3655
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
resistor and resistor pack are the same in this case
Thanks, i'm green.

it sounds to me like you have a problem with the wire harness, they are also a potential problem area, if i were you i would check for continuity through the wires, do you get power to the resistor?
I'm not sure, I know my mechanic tested some stuff but not sure about the harness.

is there a connection from there to the fan? if not you need to figure out where the wire is off, or broken, and maybe even replace the harness/plug.
Okay, this is where we'll look next I guess. I looked up some of the harnesses online and found one on Amazon for $65 with the resistor. Hoping if it's the harness I can get it from a junkyard.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the plug that goes onto the resistor pack closely. I'm betting you'll find that the contacts on the plug are corroded or burnt away, especially at one end of the plug where the two heavier (green?) wires are. It's documented on heere many times that this is a problem area, and it fits your description exactly.

A replacement plug kit is ~$35 at the dealer and is easy to splice in. Put a little bit of di-electric grease (available at most auto stores) on the plug and it'll help the contacts last longer.

Bob

The following users liked this post:
wael nabulsi (12-07-2019)
Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM
alth3655
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bobman
Look at the plug that goes onto the resistor pack closely. I'm betting you'll find that the contacts on the plug are corroded or burnt away, especially at one end of the plug where the two heavier (green?) wires are. It's documented on heere many times that this is a problem area, and it fits your description exactly.

A replacement plug kit is ~$35 at the dealer and is easy to splice in. Put a little bit of di-electric grease (available at most auto stores) on the plug and it'll help the contacts last longer.

Bob

Okay great, thanks a lot, Bob! Could I just clean the plug if it's corroded?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it is slightly corroded it might work and is worth a try.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree with the harness had the same problem and all of the contacts but one were burnt out. Decided to replace the whole so i wouldnt have to deal witb anymore and a year later and its still doing good. Hope you get that harness in there and fix your problem. Took me about 20 mins to get it done.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 AM
alth3655
Rookie

Originally Posted by otgarzā
Totally agree with the harness had the same problem and all of the contacts but one were burnt out. Decided to replace the whole so i wouldnt have to deal witb anymore and a year later and its still doing good. Hope you get that harness in there and fix your problem. Took me about 20 mins to get it done.
Thanks! Where did you get it? And did you get the harness and plug both at the same time? How much?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:56 AM
ministock6
Rookie

One thing to add, to looking at resistor connectors,, Even though they dont look bad or burnt, (and i'm not saying this to make anybody look bad) but the first time i trouble shot a resistor or motor I was checking terminals wth a test light and you can open up the terminal so it wont make a good connection. Make sure and find a terminal to check connector terminals to make sure they are not stretched open. I have seen this several times also, and this WILL cause problems too.

Quick Reply: Blower not working: it's NOT the resistor or blower motor? Help.