1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical prob, CTM or a Match

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 PM
humpheydoo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical prob, CTM or a Match

Hello to everyone on this fourm have been doing much reading what a great site, i don't know ctm. or other...I have a 2002 Dodge Durango 5.9 L 4x4 At night the lights work, high and low beams, but when driving, it seems as the cab warms up or it could be bumps in the road, the lights flash like I am hitting the high low beam on the turn signal. This just started and does it at will and randomly. Not only is it annoying it is unsafe if it does it while someone is pulling out and thinks I am telling them to go. Any help is appreciated. I have driven around with the lights on during the day but did not notice it happen, easier to tell at night. i cant find a headlight relay, i have looked under the hood in the power block and in the cab in the fuse box, the auto parts store does not list one for this suv,
i went through everything wireing, harnesses, you name it i did hear the park light relay clicking i switched it with another one same thing . i also removed the relay, same thing only without the clicking. replaced the relay then i heard the click followed by the faint sound of the door lock, so i checked the wires for the after mkt. remote start that was installed some years back everythings fine, wiggled giggled nothing lose, ground is ok, directional wires were pulled prodded nothing, the box under the kick panel no clicks wires fine and ground secure. shook everything in the power box under the hood all ok, checked the light switch it is also fine. it sits ideling and does it at random times sometimes 30 seconds sometimes longer and most times after it has warmed up. i unpluged all the fuses on the remote starter one at a time then i unpluged the remote start all together and WA-LA....... it still did the same thing...sigh... no change still doing it. i dont know what else to check
well tonight it was doing it again this time the security light came on in the dash a few times it did this other times the surge is so fast and strong the door locks click like they want to lock....dumfounded or just dumb the headlight switch is 70 dollars but dont know if this will cure it any other help will be appreciated. by the looks of gooooooogleing it i am the lonely only one with this prob.until now....

Last edited by humpheydoo; 01-10-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

How old is your battery

Old 01-10-2012, 10:02 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

check you battery terminals for corrosion too

Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it sounds like the CTM to me, it controls the headlights, highbeams, fog lights, park lights door locks, security light, (the parking light relay clicking on/off means it is recieving signals from the ctm to switch)

Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 PM
humpheydoo

yeah thats what i was afraid of will see if local bone yard has any, before i purchase new. thanks for the replies the battery is 5 years old and terminals are clean no corrosive material. if you happen to think of anything else it would be appreciated. this just started like 1 month ago and i am already sick of it......... sigh

Old 01-11-2012, 05:40 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

that's pretty old for a battery. you should probably have it load tested

Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 AM
humpheydoo

well i have exhausted all avenues i know of and next will try the ctm i found one on ebay from a person that sells many and has great feedback i called local bone yards, IF you get someone who knows what they have in the yard they will see if they can locate it, check back in a few days .... 150. 175. $$$$ labor included and that is just for them to get it for you. they do not allow you to get it yourself anymore. so with free shipping i got one and will let everyone know. thank you for your support and input your a great bunch of people here.....
incase your wondering here it is, hope this may help others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330671344579

Old 01-20-2012, 03:06 PM
humpheydoo

well is was the f*%@^n ctm a big thanks to everyone that helped...back to normal what ever that is

Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM
RyanEngland
Default 2002 Durango 4.7 SXT Security lights flashing?

Hello Dodge gentleman. Im new here and am in need of some troubleshooting. I have a 2002 Dodge Durango and it has had a odd security issue for some time. My security light on my dash board will come on and blink about every 3-5 seconds, while this is happening my headlights, dash lights, and dome lights all follow at the same time.?? A couple odd symptoms Ive noticed are first it is only occuring when my fuel light comes on on my dashboard, not sure if it was always like that though..? Second if my key is in my ignition turned forward and I open my door after truck is shut off, there will be a very fast chirping coming from my dash. The same chirp that goes on when im driving and the security light is going off every 3-5 seconds as I described above. Literally like a machine gun sound chirp and my domes turn into strobe lights. Scans are clear, ignition switch is replace with no change, I have a key cylinder im about to swap in hopes. I've been reading on here and have seen a few forum chats about the Center Timer Module. I began researching and I discovered a recall on that part around 2002-2003. I felt that was good to know. Any insight and feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 PM
jjphurst
Rookie

Ryan, CTM is going out on yours by the way it sounds. Also check the battery like said earlier in this post. You can get one, but I am fairly sure you have to get it flashed with your VIN. Some places will want your VIN and will do this for you so you won't have to go to the stealership.

Quick Reply: Electrical prob, CTM or a Match