1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Time for switch to full synthetics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for switch to full synthetics?

ive been considering going to full synthetics in my 2000 R/T but with almost 208,000 miles im very scared to switch due to chasing down oil leaks. I dont have the time, nor money to start replacing seals and gaskets as i will be moving to Tennessee soon and im working all the hours i can to get as much money saved as possible, what would u guys do? right now its running 10w-30 valvoline high milage.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

why change now if you are gonna be moving and working like crazy? I would just stay and do it later down the road personally. I am still trying to find the last leak I have when I switched...

Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. At this point, there is no reason to switch. Change your dino oil every 3000 miles and call it a day.

IndyDurango

Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 AM
DomsDodgeDingo
Professional

I made the switch at about 200k miles and my front crank seal started leaking kind of bad... I drained the oil, fixed the seal and now I use Mobil Super High Mileage and Mobil 1 filter. Never had a problem with it and it's supposed to be good for high mileage vehicles( hence the name)

Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 AM
GarageVarmint

I am running a personal experiment on my Rango since I am the original owner and drove it off the lot brand new. I ran the original dino oil in it for 500 miles, then switched to Syn oil (whatever happened to be on sale) and have been running it that way ever since. No leaks nor engine issues so far. I want to know if Syn oil really makes any difference. As of now, I am running 2K more miles than I have ever had on any vehicle and the engine is running strong but suspension and drive train part replacements are looming on the horizon for me.

Having said that after seeing what other owners are doing on this site, I am now convinced that religious oil changing is far more important than oil type even though I have also switched my vehicles to Mobile 1 High Mileage Syn and Mobil filters for reasons of simplicity.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

We have a 99 tahoe with 207k and my dad 93 chevy 1500 with 315k (both 350's) that have had valvoline dino oil. Neither have needed or even warranted an overhaul or major work. Changed every 3k.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 PM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be too late to do it without any consequences but you can do the change and hope that if there are any leaks that you find them and fix them to avoid further leaks.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

I think I'm gonna stay with my valvoline dino oil for now. I do plan too rebuild my motor after the move anyway that's when ill switch. Thanks for the input!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
kingoftow
Rookie
Default synthetic oil change (not!)...

I'd stay with the fossil based oil ( because of your high mileage notch it up to 10w40w Valvoline High Mileage Max Life in the winter and the 20w50w version in the hot tennesse summer---and call it a day.) If you aren't knocking or smoking yet let it be...kingoftow

Quick Reply: Time for switch to full synthetics?