1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

CB whip or antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
I do think my issue is ground related cause my SWR's peng on every channel....

BTW, why couldn't you do something like this guy did to mount that radio in the ram??
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=98235
1. I had the same issue, SWR's are pegging in all channels of the band. There is a few TSB's about the issue.
1. is an airbag sensor that needs to be replaced on the Ram. TSB 08-32-99

2. Is that you need to run a direct line from the battery to the CB, because of the PCM causing issues with filtered power in it's electrical system. TSB 08-16-98

3. A fuel pump motor emits RFI: TSB 08-32-99

On that type mounting, yea I've already checked into it. I have a few issues.
I have a manual 4X4 shifter on the floor right there (that guy does not), and under the seat are sensors for the air bags (because I can turn mine off on the passenger seat), and then behind that are rear drink holder on the floor that retract back under the seat, also I need the middle seat sometimes. So with all that said I just keep it in the box and the box in my truck. When I need it I have it set up to just install in seconds and sit on the floor. I would like to get one of those very small under the dash units. All the controls are just on the mic, but you can't tweak up the power.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 02-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
1. I had the same issue, SWR's are pegging in all channels of the band. There is a few TSB's about the issue.
1. is an airbag sensor that needs to be replaced on the Ram. TSB 08-32-99

2. Is that you need to run a direct line from the battery to the CB, because of the PCM causing issues with filtered power in it's electrical system. TSB 08-16-98

3. A fuel pump motor emits RFI: TSB 08-32-99

On that type mounting, yea I've already checked into it. I have a few issues.
I have a manual 4X4 shifter on the floor right there (that guy does not), and under the seat are sensors for the air bags (because I can turn mine off on the passenger seat), and then behind that are rear drink holder on the floor that retract back under the seat, also I need the middle seat sometimes. So with all that said I just keep it in the box and the box in my truck. When I need it I have it set up to just install in seconds and sit on the floor. I would like to get one of those very small under the dash units. All the controls are just on the mic, but you can't tweak up the power.

Ahh, i see now.... How about on the roof or do you have overhead console? wish i was closer i am sure i could come up with some mod to get it in there.....

Just an update:

With it almost 70 degrees here this afternoon i had a chance to fiddle with the antenna a bit.. I have a Wilson Trucker 2000 mounted to the Ram/Dakota fender mount. First i tested the ground to the bracket... Good! next, i ran a brand new ground (with new wire) from the battery to the CB... She pegged So for Sh*ts and giggles i ran a brand new positive from the battery to the back of the CB.. checked SWR... WOW! there is a HUGE difference! The lowest SWR i could get was 2.2:1 on both ch 1 and 40..

Did a radio check and got a response about 2 miles away "sounds loud and clear" so my next question is.... Could i try trimming the whip to see if i can get a little bit better SWR or should i quit fu*king with it and call it a day?

Edit: Hydra how about this idea?

Guy mounted the CB under the steering wheel and ran a cable to the overhead for the mic..... don't have to mount it under the steering wheel but, its an idea

Last edited by Old_School; 02-01-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
arcticpower28
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine I took a wilson 1000 and mounted it to the fender as shown. I had a custom made bracket made to fit my needs. I figured there was a factory hole there so I might as well use it. It works great the wip flex's when going into the garage and never have to remove it when going into the garage. As for the SWR'S the needle barley mooves. This is a clean setup and works for me. I am running a galaxy 979 peaked and tuned to the finest, and can talk to my Gf 30 miles away. no prob. The wip is where it is.

Here is a good site for cb needs http://www.cbradioforum.com/index.php?act=idx There is a cb guy on there his screene name is RollingRadios He is a moderator for the site and has a cb shop in virginia, Bought 2 radios from him with a full tune and peak job and will never buy from anywhere else but him, The results of the radios I bought Was awesome. Search the board you will see!! Good luck!!

Last edited by arcticpower28; 02-09-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:10 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

2.2:1 seems high. I'll have to run new wires to mine as well and check it and get back with ya.

Quick Reply: CB whip or antenna?