Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Blower Motor Resistor - Constant burn-outs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM
BenDeutschman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blower Motor Resistor Plug Overheating

A while back I had to replace the Blower Motor Resistor, and the Plug, since it had melted and fused itself to the Resistor. Now the new Plug is overheating, and I'm wondering if anyone has a solid answer as to the cause of this phenomena.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:20 PM
ctad841

I received my new connector with the green wires and purple wires, you said you had to remove the cap to put the connector end of the wires in to it. how did you do that? and what is the small blue thing with the tiny holes on it? thanks

Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM
BenDeutschman

I think what you are referring to is the back side of the Plug were you insert the wires in the Kit they sell you. The Blue part is a weather/moisture seal, and this style plug is supposed to be sealed by nature of its design when fully connected.

In terms of the wire supplied with the Kit, the Green wire is a heavier gauge wire than the purple wire, and which one you use, I would say depends upon what the O.E.M. wire gauge is.

I finally replaced the Resistor, Plug, and Blower Motor, so far, so good, but like one other person in this thread said, we'll see how long things stay good.

Originally Posted by ctad841
I received my new connector with the green wires and purple wires, you said you had to remove the cap to put the connector end of the wires in to it. how did you do that? and what is the small blue thing with the tiny holes on it? thanks

Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

replace the OEM wire with OVERSIZE, just bypass it. and run it through a head light relay. had the same thing on a 82 ram with the A/C blower in the ignition switch burning up.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 AM
BenDeutschman

Since the O.E.M. set-up is a five wire plug, and two of those power the blower Motor, I would figure the other three are the power in leads that correspond to the different Blower Motor speeds. So how would a simple Relay be able to provide varying fan speeds?

Originally Posted by moe7404
replace the OEM wire with OVERSIZE, just bypass it. and run it through a head light relay. had the same thing on a 82 ram with the A/C blower in the ignition switch burning up.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

well i think my set up was different. but only the wires that are burning need a relay, and over size wire. but the wires still have to be able to carry the current. in my case only the switch was burning. look up ALL ELECTRONICS they should have the real heavy duty relays.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:23 PM
WsW-WYATT-EARP

not trying to hijack the thread - but same issues.

front blower motor quit working, searched and found common issue - resistor. Replaced resistor and it worked. Couple days later it stopped - was warm and had A/C running on way home from work.

When i replaced it, I noticed the #2 wire on the connector was melted. The wires are the green more heavier wires.

So, I had wife find another resistor and figured I would get time this weekend to check deeper into it. I had to go drop the kid off this morning and the blower worked again??? I pulled the dash and all the wiring to the front blower motor control look good. The wiring on the back side of the resistor connector all look good and nothing melted.

I think I just need a new connector? I did not replace the resistor as it is working and don't want to go through 3 in a week, until I get a replacement connector.

This sound right? I am going to visit a pick and pull and see if I can find one - take the resistor as well for another spare.

Thanks for the info - internet is an amazing beast with issues like this!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
BenDeutschman
Default Dakota Blower Motor Resistor Plug

Does the Connector in your Dakota/Durango look like this?
By the way, you can buy these Plugs new from most Auto Parts stores, apparently they fry frequently.

Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
not trying to hijack the thread - but same issues.

front blower motor quit working, searched and found common issue - resistor. Replaced resistor and it worked. Couple days later it stopped - was warm and had A/C running on way home from work.

When i replaced it, I noticed the #2 wire on the connector was melted. The wires are the green more heavier wires.

So, I had wife find another resistor and figured I would get time this weekend to check deeper into it. I had to go drop the kid off this morning and the blower worked again??? I pulled the dash and all the wiring to the front blower motor control look good. The wiring on the back side of the resistor connector all look good and nothing melted.

I think I just need a new connector? I did not replace the resistor as it is working and don't want to go through 3 in a week, until I get a replacement connector.

This sound right? I am going to visit a pick and pull and see if I can find one - take the resistor as well for another spare.

Thanks for the info - internet is an amazing beast with issues like this!

Attached Thumbnails Blower Motor Resistor - Constant burn-outs-blowermotorharnessandplug-brightened_zpsd3bb4bde.jpg   Blower Motor Resistor - Constant burn-outs-blowermotorresistorplug_zps57076183.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 PM
WsW-WYATT-EARP

That is what my plug looks like and where it melted.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 PM
BenDeutschman

Unfortunately, the images didn't appear, nor open when clicked on.

Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP

That is what my plug looks like and where it melted.

Quick Reply: Blower Motor Resistor - Constant burn-outs