1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Code / Misfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have u switched the coil packs around? Ie take one off a cylinder that isnt misfiring and switch it with one that's not?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

Wow, what was I thinkin, switch a coil pack that isn't misfiring with one that is

Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

P0304-CYLINDER #4 MISFIRE
When Monitored: Any time the engine is running, and the adaptive numerator has been
successfully updated.
Set Condition: When more than a 1% misfire rate is measured during two trips, or with
a 6% to 30% misfire rate during one trip.
P0305-CYLINDER #5 MISFIRE
When Monitored: Any time the engine is running, and the adaptive numerator has been
successfully updated.
Set Condition: When more than a 1% misfire rate is measured during two trips, or with
P0306-CYLINDER #6 MISFIRE
successfully updated.
P0307-CYLINDER #7 MISFIRE
successfully updated.
P0308-CYLINDER #8 MISFIRE
successfully updated.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
INTERMITTENT MISFIRE
SECONDARY IGNITION
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
FUEL SYSTEM PROBLEM
ERRATIC CAM/CRANK SENSOR SIGNALS
OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR MIS-FIRE
PCM

Old 04-04-2012, 08:18 AM
selkov
Rookie

I guess that this forum has followed the way of most forums - a social gathering of people that really just need to get a life. I came here asking for insight from people with experience and all I got was answers that were redundant or off topic.

Thanks to all for re-stating the obvious. I was looking for suggestions on how to diagnose what is causing the problem. Not on how to re do what I have already done. And thanks for re-posting the codes that I already posted. Having a full description on HOW the code is generated really helps narrow down the exact component that caused the issue.......

Does any one know of a forum that could be helpful?
Maybe one with mechanics on it?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran

I asked you if u switched the coils around, never got a reply, so how am I suppose to help you any further? If your going to be whiny, go to another forum please. I tried to help you

Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you have been given several things to try, some of which are cheap or free

1) swap injectors out and see if the codes follow
2)compression test the cylinders in question and let us konw what the numbers are
3) replace the cam sensor
4) replace the crank sensor (i personally dont think this is the problem since the 4.7 wont run without the correct signal from this sensor)

on the no signal going to cyl 1 (and possible 2) i would try to wire a different ground in there, if that takes care of it look for a bad connection in the ground wire, if not look for a bad connection in the 12v feed, it sounds to me like its a wire problem, these are nearly impossible to help with over the internet.

P.S. your not going to find a better forum for these trucks, the people on this forum happen to be friendly with each other especially those of us who have been using the forum for a while, and when you seem to be ignoring the suggestions that we give you we cannot help you without information from you since we do not have hands on the truck it makes our position that much more difficult. (ill check my wire diagrams later today and see if anything jumps out at me as being a common failure point, but i suspect that you will have to start tracing wires)

Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok the only common piece btwn injector 1 and 2 are the ASD (which is common to all injectors)

now on all injectors pin 2 goes to the PDC and pin 1 goes to the PCM, I suspect that you have a problem with the wire going to pin 1

so follow this chart and start checking wires with an ohm meter (you can also check for a signal from the PCM at each of the PCM pins)

injector.........pin @ PCM

this is connector c2 for the jtec PCM (you have the jtec PCM if you have a TCM, you should also have only 3 connectors on the PCM, i believe that C2 is the middle one)

if you have the NGC then the pinouts are slightly different (if you hvae 4 connectors on thePCM and no TCM)
injector.........pin @ PCM connector
1..................14 C2
3..................12 C2
5..................5 C2
7...................5 C1
2...................13 C2
4..................11 C2
6...................4 C2
8.....................4 C1

you can go download the complete FSM in PDF form from the FAQ thread and it will have cavity numbering schemes and alot more information available for you

Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 AM
selkov
Rookie

shrpshtr325,
I am not well versed in the abbreviations, sorry.
What do ASD / TCM / FSM mean?

I do not believe that the issue is wire related. I would think that if it were either the issue would be interment or permanent. But as I said the noid light show power to the injector for a bout 1 minute and then goes off. This makes me think that something is shutting down those two cylinders. Like a rev limiter or overheat condition, though neither exist.

I will however use your information to be sure wires are not the issue.

I did a compression test, my meters glass is busted and the #'s worn.
However there was no greater variance then 7 psi between all cylinders. I would guess to say 130?

Thanks for restoring faith.

However at the risk of "WHINING". Look at the two post whose suggestions I ignored - they were six minutes apart "SIX MINUTES".
Further more the answer to his question was in the description of the issue!!!

The third post was simply printing a description of the error code---WTF? There was no useful information or suggestion presented.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran

If you look at the bottom of master techs post it says possibles causes and gives a list. It does sound like a wire issue, and yes I posted twice because the first post I made a mistake, and in your first post you said you replaced 2 coils, i was just throwing a suggestion out, whch is what you came here for? being rude is not the way to get yours answers. None of us live on this forum, we all have separate lives. Patience will get your D fixed, and that's all we ask for.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 PM
selkov
Rookie

Mike,
The possible causes describe the conditions that triggered the codes. that is default read out on the code reader. It gives no insight on what to check that may have caused those conditions.
Ill make you a deal, ill stop being rude if you stop being useless.

Quick Reply: Code / Misfire issue