1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

It seems that only dealer/factory starters seem to work well in these. Mine was installed in 98 and not a single problem except having the remote run over in a parking lot......

Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 AM
autoshh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a factory start, but it was put in 2 years after we bought the Durango new. I'm gonna take it out most likely anyways, and maybe get a new one. I will update tomorrow with results and if this worked.

If not I'll check wiring and relay.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 AM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Remote start systems are just bad for cars in general... imho they are like time bombs, you never know when it might cause a problem.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by alwaysclean19
Remote start systems are just bad for cars in general... imho they are like time bombs, you never know when it might cause a problem.
You can say that about any electronic accessory factory or aftermarket though......

Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM
autoshh
Rookie

So here's the update:

Today it started just fine with my remote start in the morning and twice this afternoon. I got home, and checked the fuses in my PDC, all of which are good. I'm not sure how to tell if it's my starter relay, but that looks fine and from the outside is the same as all other relays.

I traced the wiring under the dash and all, and there are no kinks, tears in insulation, or corrosion.

Also, I decided to unhook my remote start, which, after doing, had no result. There is no clicking noise or anything, just silence. I hooked it back up, and it still starts with the remote.

Also, while I was at it, I checked my P codes again (my check engine light is ALWAYS on, and my mech - a friend of mine - always tells me it's a slow leak somewhere, probably a pinhole in a seal somewhere). Well, it returned a code today: P 0456. I have no idea what that means or if it could be causing my issues... but it's been on for a LONG time.

So my question now is what to do next? Buy a new starter relay and ignition switch? And should I worry about the code?

Thanks guys

Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
DomsDodgeDingo
Professional

Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause:

A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
The EVAP Canister may be leaking- I dont believe this would cause your issue.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Sound like an ignition switch to me.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 PM
autoshh
Rookie

I thought it was an EVAP code. I know it's not my cap, although I don't feel like smoking the thing out to find a leak. It usually takes a while (50 mi or so) to come back on after it's reset. (Weird?)

But back to the main issue: That's what I was thinking, ignition switch. I know my starter is fine, because it starts just fine but won't with the key. Also, I noticed that if I crank it 10+ times trying to start it, my battery meter will fluctuate down to around 1/4 power (usually it's at half) which is low but not on "L". I'm wondering what that means. As soon as I start it up with the remote, in less than 30 secs it's back to full charge again though, just idling. So I'm probably going to pick up an ignition switch this weekend, and try it out.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It is either your gas cap or your evap lines running from your charcoal canister to the purge solinoid and to the intake.

As for your problem, swap out a different relay with the same number like the horn relay and see if the issue stops, if it does simply replace the relay.

To me it is screaming ignition switch, relay, remote starter, or wiring.

I have to say that usually OEM products are good, I don't like aftermarket electrical components like this, in fact I would never own one or buy one for that matter, just one more thing to worry about in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

I love my starter but they can become a huge pain, like what you're going through now.

Quick Reply: '03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote