Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Truck wont start. click's once please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM
itsnick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck wont start. click's once please help

I have 99 Durango 5.9 Liter, that wont start this happened a day after I installed a new battery. When you turn the ignition all you here is one click and nothing happens. I thought this meant it was the starter so today I changed the starter and bought a brand new one to make sure it wasnt a remanned starter issue. Now its still doing the same thing and im stumped.

Right before this happened I drove it to work and when I got in my car to go home there was a clicking noise, it seemed like it was coming from inside the passenger side front console to the right of the of the glove box. I then popped the truck and felt and heard the same clicking noise coming from the main fuse box inside.

I hope this is enough info for someone to help

Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

have you tried jumpstarting it? the clicking sounds like something that is drawing power, if that is the case it could be drawing the battery down and not leaving enough power to turn the truck over.

the other possibility is a bad starter relay in the PDC (black box under the hood with fuses and relays in it)

Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The clicking noise is coming from your CTM in your dash because you have a 1999.

The reason it is doing this is because of a bad connection at the battery or bad battery wire. Most likely your battery terminals are dirty and corroded. Go to a auto parts store and get a post and terminal brush and clean them good. Tool should cost about 2 or 3 bucks.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 PM
itsnick

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The clicking noise is coming from your CTM in your dash because you have a 1999.

The reason it is doing this is because of a bad connection at the battery or bad battery wire. Most likely your battery terminals are dirty and corroded. Go to a auto parts store and get a post and terminal brush and clean them good. Tool should cost about 2 or 3 bucks.
The battery is brand new and when I change it I cleaned all the terminals. I guess a bad battery wire is also possible. So if I check all the connections and triple check its clean am I replacing a starter relay ?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 PM
itsnick

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
have you tried jumpstarting it? the clicking sounds like something that is drawing power, if that is the case it could be drawing the battery down and not leaving enough power to turn the truck over.

the other possibility is a bad starter relay in the PDC (black box under the hood with fuses and relays in it)
I tried jump starting just in case and also tested the volts on the battery it has enough juice and does the same thing when being jump started

Old 04-26-2012, 10:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I already answered this question. Clean the connections or replace the battery cables.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran

Are the connections tight? Sounds to me like the battery is losing connection when your hitting the key because of loose connections somewhere or bad cables. Listen to hydra!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

I had the same thing with my a couple of months ago. pulled the positive cable's terminal off (it unbolts) then clipped the negative one off (it doesn't have bolts) then I replaced them with Brass terminals. You can get them at walmart or auto stores. never had a problem since. Before it would take a two or three sec to start now it fires right up.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RollerRed
I had the same thing with my a couple of months ago. pulled the positive cable's terminal off (it unbolts) then clipped the negative one off (it doesn't have bolts) then I replaced them with Brass terminals. You can get them at walmart or auto stores. never had a problem since. Before it would take a two or three sec to start now it fires right up.
I did the same thing a while back and have been good since

Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue a few months ago... turns out that the plastic tabs the hold the terminals in the PDC to the starter relay had broke and when i would install the relay it would push the terminals down and not allow them to make a proper connection to the relay. once i fixed that she started right up..

not saying that's your issue but, its worth a look..

Quick Reply: Truck wont start. click's once please help