1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

my 01 durnago's A/C only works on high, did i blow a fuse? PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 AM
swab
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 01 durnago's A/C only works on high, did i blow a fuse? PLEASE HELP

hey guys, you have always helped me with all my problems you guys are great here. anyways i been sick for about a week and havent drove my 2001 durango in 4-5 days, i live in FL and it has been raining almost everyday here.

when i got in my car, i turned my A/C on it only worked on medium and high, and i was like WTF so i turned my A/C off and then turned it back on to see if it would fix the problem and then medium went out and now only my highest setting the A/C is on, i been using it like this for the last week but im sick of it being on full blast, did i just blow a fuse? my A/C is not broken because it works in high.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 AM
jjphurst
Rookie

Sounds like the blower motor resistor burnt out. Check that first, checking the resistor and the plug to make sure the wires aren't burnt.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

definitely sounds like a blower motor resistor

Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
nmyron

Yea, I just did this a few weeks ago in my 01 D. I got the resistor (
Amazon Amazon
), a repair harness (
Amazon Amazon
), and a new blower motor (
Amazon Amazon
) all off of Amazon for less than the blower motor costs at the dealership. I believe it was about $100 total cost with tax and shipping. The harness took about a hour to install properly, the blower motor is a pretty simple installation (three screws and it drops out). With the resistor pack, do yourself a favor. The lower duct in the passenger footwell can be loosened with two screws, giving you about 3 more inches of room to get at that back screw. Do it. I tried to save time by not loosening that lower duct, and couldn't for the life of me get any tool on the head of the rear resistor screw. I ended up wasting more time by not dropping the two screws for the lower duct than if I had just done it straight away.

Last edited by nmyron; 08-06-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM
swab
Rookie

Originally Posted by nmyron
Yea, I just did this a few weeks ago in my 01 D. I got the resistor (http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor...gy_auto_text_b), a repair harness (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00), and a new blower motor (http://www.amazon.com/TYC-700071-Rep...gy_auto_text_c) all off of Amazon for less than the blower motor costs at the dealership. I believe it was about $100 total cost with tax and shipping. The harness took about a hour to install properly, the blower motor is a pretty simple installation (three screws and it drops out). With the resistor pack, do yourself a favor. The lower duct in the passenger footwell can be loosened with two screws, giving you about 3 more inches of room to get at that back screw. Do it. I tried to save time by not loosening that lower duct, and couldn't for the life of me get any tool on the head of the rear resistor screw. I ended up wasting more time by not dropping the two screws for the lower duct than if I had just done it straight away.

ohh man i was expecting it to be something easy like a fuse, would i be able to see damage in the blower motor if i look at it? how do you tell if i will need the blower motor resistor and assembly? wouldnt just 1 thing break and not all 3?

Originally Posted by jjphurst
Sounds like the blower motor resistor burnt out. Check that first, checking the resistor and the plug to make sure the wires aren't burnt.
where is that resistor located?

Last edited by swab; 08-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 PM
that_guy
Champion

your blower motor is most likely fine. You should only have to replace the resistor and perhaps the connector if it got hot and melted.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 AM
M Shark
Professional

hey, how coincidental! I just had your same problem and posted it here. Check it out, I got pics.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post2840693

Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by M Shark
hey, how coincidental! I just had your same problem and posted it here. Check it out, I got pics.

Nics pics!

Mods:
Somone should sticky that over in the FAQ or DIY section.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM
nmyron

It's very true, most likely the blower motor is not at fault. However, in the 5 years I've owned my D, I replaced that resistor twice. Then, last year my AC compressor blew up. I bought the parts (compressor, reciever/drier, evaporator, and front/rear oriface valves, as well as a front heater core since we were going to be in the airbox any way), and took it to a friend at the neighborhood dealership. When they were in there, the tech called me to tell me that after they completed the install, they found that my blower was pulling too much voltage on high. He asked if I ever had to replace that resistor. I told him yes, twice. He informed me that a failing blower can start that resistor failing problem, and that if it happens again, replace the blower.

So, then two or three weeks later, riding down the highway, I kick on my AC, and I hear the blower turn on, then back off. Click it up on high, and it's fine. So I prep for the resistor by swinging by my local parts department. Get under there, and low and behold, the harness is melted to the resistor, and I can't get any of it apart.

So I took my buddy's advice, ordered the three parts from my previous post. While it was a bit time consuming, it was well worth it.

So, while your blower may not be at fault now, if that resistor pops again after you replace it with the new one, you might prep yourself to go ahead and take the long road, replace all three, and save yourself some future headache

Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 PM
swab
Rookie

Originally Posted by M Shark

wow thanks man that helps alot!

Originally Posted by nmyron
It's very true, most likely the blower motor is not at fault. However, in the 5 years I've owned my D, I replaced that resistor twice. Then, last year my AC compressor blew up. I bought the parts (compressor, reciever/drier, evaporator, and front/rear oriface valves, as well as a front heater core since we were going to be in the airbox any way), and took it to a friend at the neighborhood dealership. When they were in there, the tech called me to tell me that after they completed the install, they found that my blower was pulling too much voltage on high. He asked if I ever had to replace that resistor. I told him yes, twice. He informed me that a failing blower can start that resistor failing problem, and that if it happens again, replace the blower.

So, then two or three weeks later, riding down the highway, I kick on my AC, and I hear the blower turn on, then back off. Click it up on high, and it's fine. So I prep for the resistor by swinging by my local parts department. Get under there, and low and behold, the harness is melted to the resistor, and I can't get any of it apart.

So I took my buddy's advice, ordered the three parts from my previous post. While it was a bit time consuming, it was well worth it.

So, while your blower may not be at fault now, if that resistor pops again after you replace it with the new one, you might prep yourself to go ahead and take the long road, replace all three, and save yourself some future headache

thanks for the tips, did you buy aftermarket resistors or the OEM kind? could a different resistor cause it to give you that higher voltage? ok when i fix this, if it happens again i will change the blower as well, thank you so much guys. ill check this out when i get some time.

Last edited by swab; 08-11-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: my 01 durnago's A/C only works on high, did i blow a fuse? PLEASE HELP