1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I know, I know...Why WHY WHY!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM
tank99Dango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow I know, I know...Why WHY WHY!!!!!

Ok, I have read through several threads dealing with AC issues/problems/anger/dismay, and this may or may not be something new. When I first bought my durango the guy told me that the AC compressor does cycle, but is blowing luke warm air. So I go out, buy a can of freon...instead of the can getting cold, it was like the lines were blowing air back into the can. The can is half empty, but now the compressor doesn't cycle, but I can still turn the clutch with little effort. I did check all the relays and fuses...just gonna replace the necessary stuff...here is the weird thing..get ready...

So, I am sitting at idle and I start seeing smoke roll out of the a/c vents. No odd smells, because electrical smells are very distinct. It only does it at idle. I never turn the blower because well, I have no a/c...I have ruled out dust for the most part, because when I took the dash apart I went through 3 cans of compressed air cleaning out the ducts..etc(I don't have an air compressor yet). Anyone run into this problem.

1. Only does it at idle
2. No electrical smell
3. there is no odor to it at all
4. when you start driving it just disappears

Any ideas? If I can remember my password to youtube, I will try to get video posted of it...so you can see, what I see, because if you can't see it, who says it really exists?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 PM
MarkZ28

Freon leaking from the evaporator? I dont think it has a smell and anything on fire will have a smell, electrical or not.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

coolant would smell too, so it's probably not the heater core either

Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I would say you have a leak in the a/c system. I would add dye to the a/c system and use a black light to find the leak. You can also use a a/c siffer too.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

Looks like I might be replacing the blend door as well...I can only get it to blow out of the top when it is on...like it's stuck on defrost. I got lucky, friend of my was in a rear end wreck(he is ok), and told me I could pick off whatever I could use before he scrapped it...I will just need to buy the accessories and not the compressor...I am gonna have so much fun...free parts...who can beat that!!