1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

parking brake pedal too hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default parking brake pedal too hard

Just changed the shoes and drums on the truck...wheel cylinders, springs...all the good stuff. The deal is that now my parking brake is a little hard. Should i bleed the system or is it normal for that to happen. Its my first time doin the rear brakes on a monster like this.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM
cummingetit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parking brake should be mechanical, don't think bleeding will help. I don't recall exactly but there should be an adjustment on them. Could be the flat bar with what looks like a flat head nut on the ends (flat head as in it looks like you could turn it with a flat head screw driver). Did you have to cram the drums on or did they slip on easily?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the parking brake is mechanical bleeding will not help.

if the drums are not dragging and are actuating properly the most likely explanation is that the parking brake was WAY loose before you did the change and now it feels like it should

Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM
MontyJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by otgarzā
Just changed the shoes and drums on the truck...wheel cylinders, springs...all the good stuff. The deal is that now my parking brake is a little hard. Should i bleed the system or is it normal for that to happen. Its my first time doin the rear brakes on a monster like this.
If you changed the wheel cylinders, I would hope that you already bled the system. But, as the others said, the stiffer parking brake pedal would be expected.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 PM
otgarzā
Captain

How far should the parking brake go down? I know mine used to go down pretty far and i knew it would be a bit harder but not like it is now. And i havent bled the system because i only changed one cylinder still got the truck waiting for the other cylinder. Couldnt get the line off of it yesterday

Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM
otgarzā
Captain

And when i had to install the drums they didnt slide on nor did i have to cram them in. Just took a push or two to get them in.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 AM
MontyJ
Rookie

Are you sure you assembled everything correctly and didn't bind up the cable? If so, wait until you get it all back together then test it. If the brakes are not dragging and the parking brake works, all is well as shrps said. If it is not working properly, double check the assembly.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i have no clue how to describe the expected range of motion on the brake pedal for you unfortunately, i wouldnt worry about it until you get it back on the road and find a dragging or other problem with it.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
otgarzā
Captain

okay ill have a look this week. should have time to do the other cylinder and bleed the brakes all the way around. as far as i know the cable was alright on both sides but ill have a look

Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 AM
otgarzā
Captain

Everything seems okay now. Replaced the other wheel cylinder, bled the brakes, but the parking brakes seems stiffer than before replacing the brakes but it might just take some getting used to.

Quick Reply: parking brake pedal too hard