1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

The TSB is not sure fix for your problem. But if you end up doing the repair over a replacement, Ask for the old parts. Don't tell the shop that they just drill a bigger hole in the boost plate. Because you want the old parts. By law those parts are yours. If you end up replacing the transmission, find out what your warranty is for the reman trans. Its a tough choice. I can only share the information i have.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
one big mess
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magda7290
Quote:

Originally Posted by master tech

The TSB is only information that dodge techs use to help verify problems that they are not aware of. That is the first thing the tech looks for when the car or truck comes in for repairs. The second thing is they look for star case's. And the last is dodge forum, Which has the most advance members of any forum i had been on. I have done the TSB 21-011-10 many times. It does fix some of the problems. But if it doesn't, that doesn't mean you need to replace the transmission. Just means you need to go further, maybe a torque converter and pump and seal kit. You can do the TSB without replacing the boost plate. All you need to do is remove the valve body and remove the boost plate and drill a 1/8 hole in the plate. And then do a stall test with the DRB3. If the engine stalls, then the problem is fix. As far as transmission fluid, I would only use ATF+4.

But the question is at that point should I have just replaced the transmission? The TSB costs $450. The transmission will cost me 2 grand.
when i bought our Durango it had trans problems. Wouldnt shift right from 3-4 without letting off the gas. (was told it needed a shift solenoid a crank sensor and the trans cooler). i changed the crank sensor and the cam positioning sensor ( cause if you change the crank sensor, change the camshaft positioning sensor) right off the bat. Once I got to the tranny I started with the shift solenoid. i installed a new pan gasket and put it back together. Now when ou would take off it had no power (like you were towing something) . So i opened it back open and changed the governer. Once again put it back together. Still not shifting right. So opened the trans for one more time and changed the transducer (alltogether $270). And again put it back together and once again still not right. So took it to the garage. After about 45 min I find out that it wasnt anything inside the trans. It was the WIRE CONNECTOR BEHIND THE SHIFT LINKAGE on the tranny. It wasnt connected together right. So LOOK THERE FIRST. I hope this helps you out. Good Luck

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree with one big mess too. Check all your connections.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question