1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Magda7290
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Question

About 2 weeks ago I had the P1740 code come up. My mechanic suggested the common $400+ fix of replacing the TCC case and the two solenoids. However, he stated from experience that this normally has not been fixing the problem and he suggests that I should just replace the entire transmission. However, at the time, I could drive the truck with no issues.

Two weeks have gone by now and the truck, after barely putting on an additional 200 miles since seeing my mechanic and having no transmission issues, the truck is barely drive-able. It won't automatically shift into gear at times and when in gear it will slip to the prior gear. When I manually shift it from 1 to 2 to drive, it seems to do fine.

My question is if this is possible that the transmission could deteriorate so quickly to this condition. Not to mention about 30 miles ago I put in the Lucas Oil Transmission fix and it only got worse after that. It makes me wonder if the transmission is acting this way from the P1740 issue and if I perform the TSB 21-11-00 that this might fix everything.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

My Durango is a 2000 5.9L V8 with roughly 94k miles on it.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magda7290
About 2 weeks ago I had the P1740 code come up. My mechanic suggested the common $400+ fix of replacing the TCC case and the two solenoids. However, he stated from experience that this normally has not been fixing the problem and he suggests that I should just replace the entire transmission. However, at the time, I could drive the truck with no issues.

Two weeks have gone by now and the truck, after barely putting on an additional 200 miles since seeing my mechanic and having no transmission issues, the truck is barely drive-able. It won't automatically shift into gear at times and when in gear it will slip to the prior gear. When I manually shift it from 1 to 2 to drive, it seems to do fine.

My question is if this is possible that the transmission could deteriorate so quickly to this condition. Not to mention about 30 miles ago I put in the Lucas Oil Transmission fix and it only got worse after that. It makes me wonder if the transmission is acting this way from the P1740 issue and if I perform the TSB 21-11-00 that this might fix everything.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

My Durango is a 2000 5.9L V8 with roughly 94k miles on it.

NEVER use lucas transmission fix!

that could be half the issue.... i would recomend changing the fluid and getting fresh ATF+4 to the proper level.. also check the TV cable adjustment.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 AM
cummingetit
Professional

I made the mistake of using Lucas Trans fix. Ran it for about a week then just out off the blue it was slipping. Thought i would limp it home and made it about 2 miles before she wouldn't move any more. I changed fluid and raised the rear off of the ground while cycling between neutral 1 2 D then through reverse. (not sure if that's necessary but it made me feel better) tires slowly started to grab and pick up speed the longer i did it. Then when i was satisfied i changed the filter and fluid and have been fine for the last 2 years. (knock on wood) if you didn't do to much damage trying to drive it while slipping you may get away with this too.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

+2 on the lucas trans fix crap causing the problem to get worse definitely need to get that **** out of the trans and get ATF+4 into it

Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Magda7290

I'm not really worried about the Lucas Oil and the effects it could have on my trans. I have many success stories with the Lucas Oil, so again, I understand it could hurt my trans, but that is really not what I am asking here.

I am worried about my transmission and what could be wrong, regardless of the Lucas Oil because these problems have been persisting, regardless of what fluid was in my transmission. I am concerned about what is wrong with my transmission and if I need a new one or if I should complete the TSB on the P1740 code, or if anyone has a remedy to diagnose the problem.

I appreciate everyones comments so far, but again, this was honestly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

like we said, some of your problems are caused by the lucas oil **** that you put in the trans, until you get it out and report back which problems persist we really dont know where to point you

Old 10-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
like we said, some of your problems are caused by the lucas oil **** that you put in the trans, until you get it out and report back which problems persist we really dont know where to point you
Name:  1.png
Views: 85
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM
cummingetit
Professional

If its still covered by a tsb (which to my knowledge is at the cost of dodge) then you should probably look into it. They can run your vin and see if there are any open recalls or weather the tsb has been performed. Personally i wouldn't tell them about the Lucas in there. Other than that. Idk. I love and swear by Lucas products as well.. Just not the Trans fix. Almost cost me a rebuild.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The TSB is only information that dodge techs use to help verify problems that they are not aware of. That is the first thing the tech looks for when the car or truck comes in for repairs. The second thing is they look for star case's. And the last is dodge forum, Which has the most advance members of any forum i had been on. I have done the TSB 21-011-10 many times. It does fix some of the problems. But if it doesn't, that doesn't mean you need to replace the transmission. Just means you need to go further, maybe a torque converter and pump and seal kit. You can do the TSB without replacing the boost plate. All you need to do is remove the valve body and remove the boost plate and drill a 1/8 hole in the plate. And then do a stall test with the DRB3. If the engine stalls, then the problem is fix. As far as transmission fluid, I would only use ATF+4.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Magda7290

Originally Posted by master tech
The TSB is only information that dodge techs use to help verify problems that they are not aware of. That is the first thing the tech looks for when the car or truck comes in for repairs. The second thing is they look for star case's. And the last is dodge forum, Which has the most advance members of any forum i had been on. I have done the TSB 21-011-10 many times. It does fix some of the problems. But if it doesn't, that doesn't mean you need to replace the transmission. Just means you need to go further, maybe a torque converter and pump and seal kit. You can do the TSB without replacing the boost plate. All you need to do is remove the valve body and remove the boost plate and drill a 1/8 hole in the plate. And then do a stall test with the DRB3. If the engine stalls, then the problem is fix. As far as transmission fluid, I would only use ATF+4.
But the question is at that point should I have just replaced the transmission? The TSB costs $450. The transmission will cost me 2 grand.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question