that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Doesn't sound like the front abs is very good then

Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

abs by the nature of how it works will INCREASE the distance required to stop compared to a GOOD driver who understands and is capable of properly modulating the brakes to prevent lockup (i am well aware that most people dont fall into this category)

that said, your issue is not normal, i know that mine stopped grabbing around the same time i replaced my front brake hoses (they collapsed internally), i have no clue if there was air in the system, or if the bad hoses were causing them to grab extra hard, so my first step if i were you would be to bleed the system.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
abs by the nature of how it works will INCREASE the distance required to stop compared to a GOOD driver who understands and is capable of properly modulating the brakes to prevent lockup (i am well aware that most people dont fall into this category)

that said, your issue is not normal, i know that mine stopped grabbing around the same time i replaced my front brake hoses (they collapsed internally), i have no clue if there was air in the system, or if the bad hoses were causing them to grab extra hard, so my first step if i were you would be to bleed the system.
I always thought that abs would decrease the stopping distance since a rolling tire has a higher coefficient of friction, and thus more grip on the road, than a skidding one.

I've never had any problems with my brakes grabbing when they were cold. Maybe the brake fluid is starting to break down. You could always try flushing the old fluid out with some fresh fluid.

Anyway, I'm kind of glad I don't have front abs. I really don't like computers interfering with my control over the vehicle. I was taught to do threshold braking. I don't mind having the rear abs since the back tends to lock up easily due to not having much weight over the back end.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325

Yes. I do know this. I'm not willing to mark it off as me sucking at controlling my vehicle because I know it isn't me. I will look into bleeding the system, and even see if some hoses need replacing. I appreciate the advice. I will do this as soon as I can and report back.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Pauls 2K
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My left rear grabs first every time on a fresh start up...I wonder if pumping the brakes a couple times after you start the engine and before you take off might get all 4 brakes where they need to be...

Old 10-31-2012, 05:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

apologies in advance for the hi-jack here

Originally Posted by that_guy
I always thought that abs would decrease the stopping distance since a rolling tire has a higher coefficient of friction, and thus more grip on the road, than a skidding one.
correct a rolling tire has a higher coefficient of friction before it starts skidding, however ABS reduces the pad pressure on the brake rotor by pulsing the brake line pressure, this reduces the average pressure and slows down stopping (makes it take longer), higher brake line pressure = faster stopping as long as the tires are rolling.

now all of this is assuming that the tire is ROLLING, as soon as you start sliding the tire it all goes out the window because the friction coefficient between the tire and the road becomes the dynamic number which is MUCH lower than the static number (similar to how you can use less brake pressure to keep your truck stationary at a light than you used to get it stopped).

I've never had any problems with my brakes grabbing when they were cold. Maybe the brake fluid is starting to break down. You could always try flushing the old fluid out with some fresh fluid.

Anyway, I'm kind of glad I don't have front abs. I really don't like computers interfering with my control over the vehicle. I was taught to do threshold braking. I don't mind having the rear abs since the back tends to lock up easily due to not having much weight over the back end.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM
that_guy
Champion

I guess I should re-phrase that, a well engineered abs system will reduce braking distance. One that samples speed more often and makes more shorter pulses.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

for the average driver, yes, for a GOOD well trained driver, NO

Quick Reply: Potential brake issues?