1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango HID Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
jtracing1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango HID Question

Does anyone have any recommendations on what works best when installing an HID kit in the 1st generation Durango. Has anyone had luck with HID in a standard aftermarket reflective type clear lens housing? Or are Projector type lenses a must? Let me know what you used and where you got it if possible. I don't want to spend $500. I have seen a lot of HID bulb kits for around $60 and Projector lens kits for around $180 that include the HID bulbs. I have read that cheap Projector lens are not designed for HID lights, only halogen bulbs due to their internal design (and being cheap quality). If that is the case and anyone has experience with this, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Quite simply hids do not work in halogen reflectors. You'll get crappy light output and will blind others. Ebay projectors and hids are usually s**t. HID projectors are really the only way to go if you want good light. I put hid projectors in my lights and they're great. Check out hidplanet.com for for info on hids and theretrofitsource.com for good quality hid parts. I spent around $210 total for the projectors, hid bulbs and ballasts, and clear lenses.

Here's what mine look like to give you an idea:

Light ouput from them:

Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to get something figured out with my headlights too. I've had bad luck and horrible quality with the housings I have now, but all that mumbo jumbo wiring with HID absolutely terrifies me. I understand that I can look at diagrams and such, but I get lost before I even. start.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM
jtracing1

Thanks for the info. I will check them out. So you are happy with the light output? Is it a lot better than stock? The garage shot looks like a very narrow band of light (top to bottom). Is that because you were close to the garage door? Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM
jtracing1

@that guy, are the kits complete at theretrofitsource.com or do you have to build it piece by piece? I didn't see anything specific to my Durango???

Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
that_guy
Champion

Yes it looks narrow because of me being close to the garage door. The retrofit source doesn't sell stuff specific to any car, but rather parts that you put together into your lights.

Here's a writeup that someone did on hidplanet. I didn't really take any pictures while I was installing them since it was the first time I was doing anything like this.

Basically you put your headlight in the oven to soften the sealant, pull the lens off, screw the projector in, and bake the lens back on. The wiring is pretty much all plug and play. You just have connectors plugging into your stock headlight plug and then a wire going to the battery for 12v+ and a ground. It's pretty simple, the relay harness sorts out where and when to send power for you.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does these type of projector lens still have dual high/low beam functionality? Don't want to lose high beam as alot of these projector type lighting only has low beam setting for itself and may use a halogen type lighting for high beam.

Should have looked at your sig before asking and noticed your HID are dual Xenon so you do have dual settings?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 AM
that_guy
Champion

Yeah these projectors are bixenon so there is a solenoid in them that moves the cutoff shield out of the way for high beams.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
jtracing1

@that guy, did you buy the Mini Morimoto Stage 3 H1 kit and how long ago? theretrofitsource.com quoted me (and it is on their website) $270 for everything minus the lenses. Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
that_guy
Champion

I bought all those pieces used from people on the hidplanet.com forum (the retrofit source owns that forum), but yes that kit has all the parts you would need. They can probably sell you open box.refurbished parts for cheaper too.

Quick Reply: Durango HID Question