1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Durango, Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 AM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Durango, Couple questions

So I am the proud new owner of a 2000 Durango SLT 4x4 5.2 135k miles. I Its not a cherry, but I think I got a decent deal on it. It will be replacing my 99 Ram 2500 that i have to give up due to the TWO new (simultaneous) additions to the family. So far I like it, and my first mileage test resulted in 14 mpg, which isnt too bad considering I kept romping on it to test out the power(which seemed to be lacking somewhat) of my new rig. I will be doing the standard for my new cars: complete fluid changes, motor, tranny, differentials etc, plugs wires cap etc. I did have a couple questions.

I don't know which of the two transmissions I have yet. I haven't had the chance to crawl under it much yet, and the tag in the glove box is essentially gone because it faded so much. So here is the question. When I am driving in town, speed limit of 25, when i get up to the speed limit and let off the throttle to stop accelerating, it feels like a rough 2-3 shift, right as i let off. However, if i am accelerating past 25 mph, say up to speed on the freeway, the shift seems smooth. Any Ideas? I will be PURGING the tranny, not flushing, thanks to the extensive searching of this forum, with ATF+4 this weekend. Hopefully It helps but i figured i would ask in the meantime.

Another issue it is having is the auto door locks. The drivers side works fine, but the others only work manually and make a screeching sound when you try and use them or when the rig trys to lock them automatically at a certain speed. I hate tearing door panels off because they never go back on right for me, but we will see.

Thanks for reading , and any input would be welcomed!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Durango door panels are a LOT easier than Ram door panels. They don't use those crappy plug / clips. They actually have hanger brackets built in and a few screws to keep things tight against the door shell.

The screeching is a stripped lock actuator. It's fairly easy to swap out. Just get on Ebay and order one or get one from a local salvage yard. That'll fix your problem.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
AppelH
Captain

Well that is good news. I was at the junkyard today actually looking at something else and i took a peek at the door panels of a durango in the yard to see if i could diagnose that way, which i didnt. So the actuator, is it like right where the door latches or what? I dont exactly know what I am looking for

Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by AppelH
Well that is good news. I was at the junkyard today actually looking at something else and i took a peek at the door panels of a durango in the yard to see if i could diagnose that way, which i didnt. So the actuator, is it like right where the door latches or what? I dont exactly know what I am looking for

If you open the door and look at the end of the door where the door latch itself is? There are several star bit bolt heads visible? Those are holding the door latch actuator to the door frame.

Essentially, remove the door panel. You'll reach in and unplug the harness pigtail. You'll unclip the colored rod clips. Remove the star bit fasteners. Remove the actuator. Set new one in place and start the fasteners but don't tighten them all the way down yet. Reconnect the rods and clips. Reconnect the harness pigtail. Then, tighten the fasteners.

Now, before you put the door panel back on...test it. Make sure it locks and unlocks properly. If yes, put the panel back on and you're good to go.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 PM
AppelH
Captain

Sounds good, I will give it a shot. Hopefully the junkyard is a good amount cheaper than online, from what I am seeing they are about $60, and I am pretty sure i need more than one.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 PM
AppelH
Captain

Well the junkyard wanted $55 a piece for them, which is hardly cheaper than new, and considering the fact that the used ones could easily have the same issue anyways. Looks like its on to plan B.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Sooper
Captain

Well the junkyard wanted $55 a piece for them, which is hardly cheaper than new, and considering the fact that the used ones could easily have the same issue anyways. Looks like its on to plan B.

What's your ZIP code. I think I can get them for you way cheaper, and with your ZIP code I'll give you a price per, with a phone number to a salvage yard who has the right parts, and will ship them the same day you call and pay. I just need your ZIP.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
AppelH
Captain

Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Sooper
Captain

No wonder prices are so high near you, there just aren't many salvaged Durangos in your area.

Call:

King Automotive Salvage Center
800-286-3041 / 319-234-8822

Lock Actuators (Several) - $25 Ea. + Shipping

I know they have both front actuators but I am not sure about rear. Just call and see what they have and they may cut you a deal if you're getting more than two.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
AppelH
Captain

Yea the junkyard im looking at only has one durango, and I consider myself lucky for that one. I will give them a call when I have the chance.

Quick Reply: New Durango, Couple questions