1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

headlights are STILL flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM
gnelson49
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it on DC Volts, not sure the range on your meter, but if you want to see between 0 and 12 volts you need to have it set to 20V DC, something above 12 but not in the 100+ range, too hard to decipher a difference. Wiggle the wire harness if they aren't flickering when you test, could be a broken wire or connection. Have you tried swapping relays instead of just pulling it? You know the diagram on the PDC lid is a mirror image of what the relay config is in the box right?

Old 07-12-2013, 04:58 PM
hemi_newman
Rookie

pdc? what is that?Im not good with electrical at all.I dont even know how to use a multimeter even though i have one lol.My lights dont flicker they flash after being on for 20mins or so...road conditions does not matter the road can be smooth or rough and they flash.No i havent tried swapping relays..just pulled and found out that the lights still work without it and tried it on a guys car at work today and his work also with out the relay(97/98 intrepid).

Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The pdc (power distribution center) is the relay/fuse box under the hood.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
hemi_newman
Rookie

the relay im talking about is the one on the left side of the truck..its next to the door..inside.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:44 PM
gnelson49
Professional

What relay are you pulling? What is it labeled as on the fuse panel lid. You are talking about the fuse panel on the driver's side inside the door on the side of the dash, the main relays are in the engine compartment on the driver's side in a black box. Your issue isn't a fuse or the lights wouldn't work at all, it sounds like a relay issue or possibly a bad voltage regulator in your alternator. Try swapping the relays I mentioned in my last post in the engine compartment and see if there is any difference. Also, are your headlights aftermarket or original?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 AM
hemi_newman
Rookie

I have tried swapping relays with one of the same amps inside the engine and it still does the same thing..my headlights are original but i have the silver star blubs in(Ive had'em for almost three years now)

Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM
that_guy
Champion

I'm wondering if maybe the 2 bulbs are drawing too much current or something goofy like that. Try just one bulb and see if it still flashes on and off.

I'm also wondering if there is one of those little silver circuit breakers somewhere for the headlight circuit that could be causing issues.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM
hemi_newman
Rookie

Originally Posted by that_guy
I'm wondering if maybe the 2 bulbs are drawing too much current or something goofy like that. Try just one bulb and see if it still flashes on and off.

I'm also wondering if there is one of those little silver circuit breakers somewhere for the headlight circuit that could be causing issues.
Where is this circuit breaker you are talking about located?I am going to try just standard blubs..but they have worked great for almost three years now. If i take my alternator in will they be able to test for a bad voltage regulator?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading the thread. It looks like you got the electrical covered. (fuses, relays). Does the headlight flashes with the truck idle (not moving?) If so, it may not be wiring related.

You said you replaced the CTM module with a new one? Did you do as Shrp requested by reflashing the CTM? This may need to be done from the OEM dealership.

Another question, did the flashing headlight issue occurred before or after the CTM replacement? This question may be a invalid question if you have not flashed your CTM module from the dealership yet.

My guess on your flashing lights issue may be CTM related as I know the CTM controls the security system of your truck if it had one. it is possible the flashing headlights may be due to a faulty or improperly configured CTM.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by hemi_newman
Where is this circuit breaker you are talking about located?I am going to try just standard blubs..but they have worked great for almost three years now. If i take my alternator in will they be able to test for a bad voltage regulator?

I know there's some sort of circuit breaker in the fuse box on the side of the dash board, but I'm not sure what it does. The upgraded bulbs should work fine, I ran them for a while without issues, but I was just wondering if doing that would help rule something out.

Quick Reply: headlights are STILL flashing