1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Radiator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM
victoralert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Replacement and Electric Fan issue

So I had a post going about the electric fan coming on and having tranny fault codes....It was recommended to put a tranny cooler and remove the drain back check valve. Ive looked into the tranny coolers and auto zone and advance only have a 4 row cooler and to get an oem style one is about $200. Would it just be better to replace the radiator and I could eliminate the new external tranny cooler and the possibility of the radiator being clogged and causing the electric fan to kick on? I have a 2002 Durango with a 4.7 and 180k miles with the original radiator. I would still eliminate the drain back valve. It seems to be highly recommended by everyone on the forum.

If a radiator replacement is recommended....what type is best to use. I see prices from $89 to $179. It seems they only sell a single core thin style.

Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited by victoralert; 10-23-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
jjjefferson

I just replaced the radiator on my 2000 Durango at 160K. Previously I had replaced the T-stat, upper and lower hoses, flushed and filled but I was still getting overheat issues. I noticed that only a portion (upper right) of the radiator was getting hot. So I figured the rest was blocked.

I put in a 1.5" (heavy duty cooling) radiator from Silla (Original was a 1 inch). The first one got sent back because the whole thing go bent somehow, but the second one was perfect. Check to see how your AC Condenser is attached to the radiator first. On my 2000 the AC Condenser was bolted right to the radiator necessitating the evacuation and re-charge of the AC system prior to and after installing the radiator.

Secondly PB-Blast the heck out of the tranny line connections. Mine were pretty rusted but broke free after a good 3 day soak. And make sure you tighten them really well. LOL. I "thought" mine were tight....after 10 miles and trans fluid dripping out the front it became obvious they weren't.

So far my temps have been rock steady at 180F under all conditions. I still have a subtle hint of coolant smell so I suspect a replacement of the heater core will soon follow. And of course this also requires a vacate/recharge of the AC too. But we'll see how long shell go :-)

Good Luck!

JJ

Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 PM
jjjefferson
Default All this for a radiator

getting to the radiator is the hardest part :-)

Attached Thumbnails Radiator Replacement-durango_sm.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

They must have changed more stuff than I thought for 2000 then, I've unbolted mine before without having to remove the bumper, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't attached to the a/c condenser either.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 PM
victoralert

So any input as to if a radiator replacement is a possible fix for my tranny codes and electric fans coming on frequently.....Also, what do you guys think about the Spectra radiators?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM
victoralert

So, I replaced my radiator (not too bad of a job) and I took the durango on a 2hr trip....going there the temp guage was to the left of center and no aux fan on. On the way back, stopped at diner and temp guage still to left of center but aux fan was on. Does anyone know where the sensor is that controls the aux fan? also, im assuming that i'm now dealing with a tranny issue. There was no drain back valve and I've removed the quick disconnects (which are anything but quick) and replaced the corroded lines with rubber hoses. Is there a temp sensor on the tranny that would activate the aux fan also where is the pressure switch located?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 PM
victoralert

Anyone know where the Aux fan temp sensor is located?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 PM
that_guy
Champion

It probably just uses the regular coolant temp sensor.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM
victoralert

Ok where is the coolant temp sensor? Is it between the alternator and A/C?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 PM
that_guy
Champion

I don't have a 4.7, so I couldn't tell you.

Quick Reply: Radiator Replacement