1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TCM 02 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Thats good to know. I throught dealers would be happy to perform a flash updates on modules.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd think.. Some are great. Most are bull**** just looking for money backed by jokers.

Thankfully I take my vehicles (all three, ford, gmc, dodge) to future ford fleet. They'll do anything at reasonable costs. Sadly the local dodge dealer I only use for warranty work (2012 ram). They wanted to charge me (01 durango) $1,600 for rack and pinion replacement and redo whole brake system. At the time I lived in Texas and I got that prior quote in Cali where I live now while on vacation. Anywho drove back home to TX an dodge dealer did work for $750. Now that I live here in Cali like I said, I just use that joke of a dealer for warranty work..

It's a shame.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a TCM from an 04 Jeep for $36 or something like that. I figured it would be cheaper than getting it re-programmed anyway so I just bought it and changed mine out. Its been working great since. I can't remember which year they had the rough shift issues and some other software issue that they had an update for but I think I read that the 04 year was clear of any issues or problems like that already so thats why I went with it. I do notice a difference in MPG and engine RPMs at highway cruising speeds for sure.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:10 PM
RJCSR

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the 5.9 does not have a TCM of any sort EVER

the information on the 4.7 TCM location is correct, right behind the headlight, if you cannot see a control module there check the PCM if it has 4 plugs you have it build into the PCM and already have a 5spd trans
I have an 02...and I don't see ANYTHING that is behind the pass. HeadLight? Your saying it's in the engine bay correct? I've seen other posted videos & and I don't have NOTHING there at all, and can't seem to find anything resembles that TCM anywhere on my Durango??? What am I missing?!?!?

Old 06-18-2023, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

What engine/trans do you have?

Old 06-18-2023, 10:28 AM
RJCSR

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What engine/trans do you have?
4.7...idk the Trans. But I did some more research on another forum, and found that IF the PCM/ECM has 4 connectors instead of 3, then the vehicle SHOULD already have been equipped with 5 speed. Then I Google searched the year, make & model. In all the YouTube videos I've found online the description states that earlier models & UPTO 2002 (all those vehicles had a MAGNUM cover I saw in EVERY video) suppossedly HAVE a TCM/TCU. BUT the specs I found for the 02 DD SLT 4X4 V8 4.7L (NOT a Magnum) came factory 5 Speed Transmission in the Google spec search?!?! At least in mine does??? My ECM/PCM was changed little over a year ago, due to ex wife using it while I was away on business and came back to multiple error codes. Error codes were as follows.... ABS, E. BRAKE engaged when it wasn't, and speedometer wasn't working. So I ordered a new ECM skinned/coded, changed out every sensor, & multiple other fixes.....and it still didn't fix the problems. Finally broke down and Had to take it to the dealer. $1900 later it was operational again. Still don't know what the dealer did to fix the problems. But.... I noticed that my MPG was ****tier than befsaid issues. Was getting around 16mpg, now I'm at 10.6mpg. Hence when I saw these fuel alternatives videos, I figured it would help me out. But... that's why I saw that my truck doesn't have a TCM/TCU, and why I started digging in to finding out what/why my truck is an "ANOMALY".

Old 06-18-2023, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

So, how many plugs on your PCM?

You can also try running a build sheet for your truck here. (all caps please, it doesn't like lower-case letters)

Old 06-18-2023, 10:58 AM
RJCSR

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So, how many plugs on your PCM?

You can also try running a build sheet for your truck here. (all caps please, it doesn't like lower-case letters)
My ECM/PCM has 4 plugs. And as I found out that 4 plugs equals 5 speed, and 3 plugs equals 4 speed. So I guess I will just need to drive it more often to let the ECM/PCM relearn the fuel consumption usage. It's NOT a daily driver being a V8. But I may need to change that for a few months to verify if that is in fact the problem.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

TCM is integrated into the PCM then. I don't know if that means it's a 5 speed or not. Not that familiar with the newer stuff. (I drive a 98.... so, 00 and up is 'newer'. )

Old 06-19-2023, 03:08 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RJCSR
My ECM/PCM has 4 plugs. And as I found out that 4 plugs equals 5 speed, and 3 plugs equals 4 speed. So I guess I will just need to drive it more often to let the ECM/PCM relearn the fuel consumption usage. It's NOT a daily driver being a V8. But I may need to change that for a few months to verify if that is in fact the problem.

this information was included in the post you quoted earlier in this thread. . . . . . not sure why you had to return to google to figure that out.

although 2002 was a transition year, the 4-5 speed change was made mid-year so it COULD have either setup depending on when in 02 it was made, im not sure when the cutoff was.

Quick Reply: TCM 02 Durango