1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

No spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 PM
moya3pk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark

I have a 2002 dodge durango has no spark and replaced cam and crankshaft position sensor and still wont turn over. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
dkishton1486
Professional

Does it turn over and not start or do it not turn over at all?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 PM
dxloat
Veteran

The cam and crank sensor help the pcm determine the timing of spark and fuel but if they are bad the starter will still turn over. If the starter is not turning the motor over then you have a possibly bad starter, battery, pcm or another ignition system issue.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I need a little more information, What year is the Durango and engine size. Since you said you replace the crank and cam sensor, I would guess you have a 4.7 engine. Does the engine turn over when you try to start the engine? If it does, have you looked at the cluster and does it show no bus? I would also check the ASD circuit, that controls the fuel pump and the ignition circuit.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM
BoGyver
Default no spark

I too have a no spark, all tests indicate bad coil. Replaced twice with no help. Coil primary tests good(B+ & switching signal) any advice?

Old 12-21-2013, 12:08 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Crank sensor maybe then?

Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 PM
FFFD827
Professional

same problem for me. 02 5.9 rt I replaced the crank sensor and it started for a week. now its dead again. I tried another sensor but it didn't help. Any advice? im ready to push this f..en thing in the river

Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you reset the computer when you replaced the sensor? Make sure your battery terminals are good and clean too.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First turn on the ignition to Run position.

Take a plug out and ground it (on metal) good. Have someone turn it over and verify it is sparking or not. If not then most likely it is a Camshaft Sensor or a Crankshaft Sensor. Make sure you disconnect the Negative battery lead BEFORE working on it or you most likely kiss that brand new part goodbye.

If you do have spark then you need to check for fuel. On the fuel rail there is a tire like valve with a cap on it. This is where you hook up a fuel tester; I would suggest at least 50 psi in my opinion that goes for both starting/idling and full throttle. Anyway at least depress the valve (be careful it should be under pressure and will hit you in the eyes so ware protection). If fuel comes out then it should start so check the pressure with a tester. If no pressure replace the fuel pump or check connection to it. Yes you have to drop the tank.

If you have fuel and spark then it could be a timing issue. Take out #1 spark plug and get a very long thin screw driver. Drop it down the plug hole until it comes to rest on the top of the piston. Manually with a wrench gently turn the motor until it comes to the top. Now look down at the crank shaft and find the timing markings and make sure you are on TDC. If not then try and turn it over manually again gentle until the piston is at Top Dead Center again and verify the markings. If you are not close then your timing chain is off or broke.

Your spark plug should spark around 5 or 6 degrees before Top Dead Center (TDC), this is advanced timing, if not close again could have skipped a tooth.

What the hell am I doing writing all this out, go up and look in the FAQ section I'm sure I've already wrote this up and it's most likely in there or use the search feature.

Quick Reply: No spark