1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

To Do List on the Durango...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:03 AM
slidinsideways06
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Do List on the Durango...

As stated in the new members thread, I figure I'd post the things I want to look at on my durango. So far, I'm thinking of either keeping it a daily if I can increase my mpg to at least 17 highway. Other than that I might get rid of her by the spring. But I've only had it a week and it's already growing on me!

Before I start talking about mods, I want to iron out a few kinks on the truck first.

- Previous owner said linkage on the 4x4 was bad. Based from here, I narrowed it down to either the linkage and worst case scenario...the transfer case.
- When backing out of a parking space the other day, I turned the wheel all the way to the left and as I backed up I heard a grinding noise? It seems to originate from the driver's side front wheel.
-Steering wheel vibration at 70mph. From what I managed to look up it can either be the U-joints or something as little as out of balance tires, or even a broken belt. I took at look at my tires and I see no uneven wear or a bulge anywhere. Doesn't vibrate when I get on the brakes but to make sure I'll check this morning on the way home from work.
-I read on here that the weak point of these things is the front end. I don't know if this is me coming from a sports car, but there are times when I turn to get on an on ramp I feel a lot of body roll. Don't know what I'm supposed to look for here, but maybe it would help if someone told me how fast their durango can take a 70* left hand highway turn with a slight incline? I take this turn at about 50-55 before I decide to let up.

- Fortunately, the transmission is shifting fine. No slipping and overdrive engages fine. Just had to add a couple quarts of ATF. Down the road, I may change out all of the fluids.

Finally...mods! Not planning to do much....just want the engine to breath and sound better and maybe get a few more MPGs along the way. Currently, i'm doing 13.2 average with 80/20 highway/city. Everyone says the average for a 5.2 is 15-16? Also trying to do this on a budget, so a lot of used parts.

- I read up on the home brew CAI. The pictures I saw on the thread were for a 4.7. I'd make it myself to save a few $$$ but don't have the time. Anyone willing to put together a few pieces of pipe for me down the road?

-Headers and a muffler. Found some Gibsons for about $75. Thinking about picking them up. For a muffler, something not too loud but loud enough so I know it's on lol. Something with a slight rumble that doesn't shake the cabin and give out a drone.

-Fastman 52" TB.

Pretty much that's what I'm gonna plan on doing. If there are any mods that will better the driveability of the car that I didn't mention, please do tell. I already scheduled a basic tune up and fluid change.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 AM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

[QUOTE="slidinsideways06;3110622"]As stated in the new members thread, I figure I'd post the things I want to look at on my durango. So far, I'm thinking of either keeping it a daily if I can increase my mpg to at least 17 highway. Other than that I might get rid of her by the spring. But I've only had it a week and it's already growing on me! [/uote]

It kinda depends on how you drive. I drive 85H/15C and I get between 16-17mpg, and I have the 5.9L V8 which is advertised at 12C-14H. On this last tank of gas I got 16.2mpg.

Other than driving habits, spark plugs, fuel treatment, tires, air filter are the first cheapest steps towards improved mileage. Then upgrades such as exhaust and crap.

[quot]Before I start talking about mods, I want to iron out a few kinks on the truck first. - Previous owner said linkage on the 4x4 was bad. Based from here, I narrowed it down to either the linkage and worst case scenario...the transfer case. [\quot]

Have you tried engaging 4x4? It's hard to give you anything without observations or pictures to work with.

[quot]- When backing out of a parking space the other day, I turned the wheel all the way to the left and as I backed up I heard a grinding noise? It seems to originate from the driver's side front wheel.[\quot]

Depends on the type of sound it could be the tire catching wheel well, but we kindA a need more observation.

[quot] -Steering wheel vibration at 70mph. From what I managed to look up it can either be the U-joints or something as little as out of balance tires, or even a broken belt. I took at look at my tires and I see no uneven wear or a bulge anywhere. Doesn't vibrate when I get on the brakes but to make sure I'll check this morning on the way home from work.[\quot]

Most of these older trucks have some vibration, could you describe it a bit? It could be a bulge in a tire, a busted tire band, a bald spot, bad tire alignment, badly unbalanced tires, various problems along the drive train. When does it vibrate, and when does it stop. Does it make a sound, describe how it vibrates.

[quot]-I read on here that the weak point of these things is the front end. I don't know if this is me coming from a sports car, but there are times when I turn to get on an on ramp I feel a lot of body roll. Don't know what I'm supposed to look for here, but maybe it would help if someone told me how fast their durango can take a 70* left hand highway turn with a slight incline? I take this turn at about 50-55 before I decide to let up.
[]qute]

Durango's are an SUV, therefor they are rather top heavy. Any turning you do should make your truck lean. Learn your limits by playing around in an open Parkin lot. At a point, it will start sliding, which leads to rollovers, learn where that point is to avoid a catastrophe. The handling is night and day compared to a sports car, so don't drive it like one, it won't like you very much

[qute] - Fortunately, the transmission is shifting fine. No slipping and overdrive engages fine. Just had to add a couple quarts of ATF. Down the road, I may change out all of the fluids. Finally...mods! Not planning to do much....just want the engine to breath and sound better and maybe get a few more MPGs along the way. Currently, i'm doing 13.2 average with 80/20 highway/city. Everyone says the average for a 5.2 is 15-16? Also trying to do this on a budget, so a lot of used parts. - I read up on the home brew CAI. The pictures I saw on the thread were for a 4.7. I'd make it myself to save a few $$$ but don't have the time. Anyone willing to put together a few pieces of pipe for me down the road? -Headers and a muffler. Found some Gibsons for about $75. Thinking about picking them up. For a muffler, something not too loud but loud enough so I know it's on lol. Something with a slight rumble that doesn't shake the cabin and give out a drone. -Fastman 52" TB. Pretty much that's what I'm gonna plan on doing. If there are any mods that will better the driveability of the car that I didn't mention, please do tell. I already scheduled a basic tune up and fluid change.[/QOTE]

Flow master lost it's patent. My flow master 40 gave me a nice little rumble, and brought up my mpg. I got it installed for just over $100 here in Texas. Get your basics taken care of. There's a lot you can do with your truck.

Last edited by cmikolajczyk; 12-16-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 AM
slidinsideways06
Rookie

Most of these older trucks have some vibration, could you describe it a bit? It could be a bulge in a tire, a busted tire band, a bald spot, bad tire alignment, badly unbalanced tires, various problems along the drive train. When does it vibrate, and when does it stop. Does it make a sound, describe how it vibrates.
It starts to vibrate around 70mph....vibrates as fast as a resonating tuning fork. No bulges in tire. Though I do notice that the truck has a hard time going straight on the highway.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:03 AM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

Originally Posted by slidinsideways06
It starts to vibrate around 70mph....vibrates as fast as a resonating tuning fork. No bulges in tire. Though I do notice that the truck has a hard time going straight on the highway.
Hmmm, could be a few things, maybe somebody else has an insight on that.

All dodges are like that, especially a 4x4 dodge truck. You'll have slack in the steering, as well at pulling to the right. To keep straight you'll have to keep the wheel up to about 40*. every time you get a tire alignment, it will improve, but gradually get worse. Every dodge I have every driven has been like that.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 AM
slidinsideways06
Rookie

Vibration also occurs under braking. Guess we can add warped rotors to the list.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:12 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad you don't have a 4.7 with a TCM. I upgraded mine with one from a jeep and I now get 12 city and 21 highway. Though I'm kinda hefty on my gas.

Anywho, I never had issues with vibrations at 70ish. Nor do I have sloppy steering. And it drives straight.

All about maintaining your vehicle. However I will say that the front end of these trucks are the weak point. The front parts are too light duty for the weight/size of the vehicle.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Bobman
Veteran

Check upper and lower ball joints as well as all of the steering linkages. My 'D has got to be one of the smoothest and straightest running trucks I've ever owned PROVIDED it's properly aligned. Very often it's not just one thing in the suspension, it's the combinateion of a bunch of little things that'll kill you.

Things to check:
Upper and lower ball joints
Front hubs / bearings
Front driveshafts
Front diff
Tie rod ends / steering linkages
A-frame bushings
Properly adjusted ride height
Worn shocks

If any / all of these are worn the truck is going to wander, vibrate, and kill your tires quickly. Put it into 4WD and it's going to get worse. Bottom line, spend smart money and do it right. None of the jobs above are that difficult for the average person with the exception of the lower ball joints and bushings. They are a pain to get apart and re-installed, and require that you can get a decent ball joint press. I rented one from Autozone that worked well.

Improper front end alignment / worn tires will also take a big toll on gas mileage in your D.

Bob

Last edited by Bobman; 12-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:01 PM
PublicHair
Banned

In regards to upper and lower ball joints.. I put MOOG equipment on my Durango.

And along with the new suspension parts (everything) and Monroe Reflex shocks - My durango corners better than my new Fusion. If that says anything

Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Bobman
Veteran

+1 on the Moog ball joints, but if $$$ is a concern and you go with cheaper ones make sure you get it with a grease fitting and keep them greased. Personally I went for the Moog's because it is such a vital component to the car I wanted to take no chances of an inferior part being used. They take quite a beating, especially when going with lift kits, bigger tires, etc. Plus, factor in the amount of time it's going to take to change them out and you'll quickly realize that you'll only want to do it once!!!

Bob

Old 12-16-2013, 06:19 PM
slidinsideways06
Rookie

Thanks everyone. I got the list of things to look at so when I drop it off at the local shop tomorrow I know exactly what to have him look for. I live in an apartment complex which frowns upon people working on the lot plus I work 60-70 hours a week. Pretty much want to refresh the suspension and handling back to or slightly better than stock and a few mpg through mods.

Also have to look at my 4x4 system. Previous owner said it was the linkage that keeps it from engaging.

Once I get all the above squared away, I simply want to do the home brew intake, gibson headers (wouldn't do it but a guy has a stainless set he ripped off a wreck for $75 and I saw how much they go for usually so...), and either a Flowmaster Force II catback or just a 70 series muffler. Didn't get a chance to look into how exhaust systems affect this vehicle but if the difference between the catback and muffler is too minimal I'll obviously just go for the muffler. I just can't have anything too quiet. I need to know my car is on by hearing it :P My mom had a beetle that was so quiet we occasionally accidentally turn the key while it was already on.

Quick Reply: To Do List on the Durango...