1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My '03 Dodge Durango SXT 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 PM
slidinsideways06
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PublicHair
Well the durango isn't the best tow vehicle to start with so..not like the gearing matters that much!!

It was a $40 option to go from 3.55 to 3.92.
Not planning on towing anything (not all the time at least). Just trying to figure out if stuff was taken out of my rig over the years.

I would have opted for the 3.92 gears just for a little bit more snap at takeoff lol.

Also didn't know that the third row seating was an option. Neat.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by that_guy
It may not be a cummins ram, but it can still tow more than a new exploder (only 5000lbs, wtf?!) and most other smaller suvs out there.
I think you're missing the point. Until you have experience towing with 10+ different vehicles..

There is a reason trailer brake adaptor is standard on the durango. What most people tend to forget about. Because of how ****ty the front end is. And how weak the brakes are.

Sure truck can do it. But for how long and efficiently? There is more to it than a motor and body on frame.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The brakes aren't as bad as you make them out to be. Towed a lot in the heat of summer without trailer brakes stop and go around town and interstate/hwy, no issues. I don't even have upgraded rotors. But it never hurts (I would highly recommend though) to have good after market brakes and trailer brakes no matter the vehicle when towing near its rated limit. That's from my experience and my dad's with everything from v6 blazers to 80,000+ semis. Also the trailer brake adapter was standard on rams too.

The front end is not bad and I don't get where you are getting this from. I have stuck inner tie rods in, that is it. Believe me mine has seen abuse like you wouldn't believe. At 80,000 my uncle (the original owner) put moog suspension components in it, that was the last time it was touched and it now has 173,000 on it. He used it to tow his 6000lbs boat through the rocky mountains and to go hunting. Then I got it. Highly doubt you've taken your's off-road and ramped the front end up off a steep creek bank after crossing it at 30mph so you didn't get stuck. Or go running through sand dunes bottoming out the suspension.

Now durangos make good tow vehicles. Solid drivetrain, solid frame, good wheelbase, good weight distribution, good weight (cause lets face it you'd have to get a tahoe or expedition have that kind of weight), good suspension, and decent brakes with good aftermarket upgrades out there. I'd take it over an explorer, tahoe, expedition, F-150, or most half ton chevy's from that time. This is from experience.

**** Public-you keep missing the point everyone has been trying too make to you in multiple threads now. Overall the durango is a good tow vehicle, I take it over lots of new vehicles. For those of us too poor or who don't tow that much the durango is an exceptional value for what you get. I'm really not trying to sound like a dick but this negativity is wearing on us as a community, at least that's my observation.

Last edited by adukart; 01-04-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 PM
PublicHair
Banned

I guess a little research and a bit of experience go a long way...

But hey we all have our opinions. It looks like my views upset a few folk. Which is funny. Most claim its negative. Truth be told its honest.

Last edited by PublicHair; 01-04-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
AppelH
Captain

It's all relative. It depends on what you compare te Durango too that determines how it compares: vs a car or a Toyota rav 4, it's a beast. Compared to a f550, not so much. The best comparison is a vehicle of similar year, same class, and similar price range. In that case, I think it's competitive. I don't usually chime in because I don't have much experience towing with it, or in general. Public, let me ask you-why did you get your Durango, what is its role?

Personally I got mine to be able to tow occasionally when necessary, be able to go camping etc, and haul the kids around when their crap doesn't all fit in our little Toyota that we commute with. I'm just wondering, because for the most part, you don't have much positive to say about your rig.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:20 PM
jqthomas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I'm really not trying to sound like a dick but this negativity is wearing on us as a community, at least that's my observation."

amen.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 PM
PublicHair
Banned

I needed an SUV with rear seat cooling for my German shepherd while I was in TX for work. Only wanted to spend at most $4k for just a cheap SUV to take the dog around in.

Anyway got lucky, found this durango, paid $1,600 and dumped maybe $2k into parts for the suspension and turned out to be a fantastic truck. Straight body. No torn leather. Drives great. Good gas mileage. Great road trip vehicle, especially on my trips back home to the Rockies in Colorado.

Father had one back in 2000 identical to mine so needless to say I was super excited to find my durango. Was always a great truck.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:26 PM
PublicHair
Banned

It's funny people act like I'm so negative to the truck. But until you spend $900 in just custom headlights, and pay $400 a year (I don't drive it much, nor do I drive my new fusion, its a shame) just to sit.. I mean, being I can sell it and make what, $3k in profit? Yet I keep it and pay at least $400 a year just to have it... Come on kids. Grow up. Clearly I'm not being negative for a hate of the vehicle. I'm just realistic and speak of what I know. Like the people who say the brakes are fine.. Then why did dodge upgrade the brakes in 03?? Can anyone say what they upgraded? Or better explain why?? Come on know it alls. Enlighten me..

Last edited by PublicHair; 01-04-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:42 PM
AppelH
Captain

Good gas mileage, ha. I wish the rest of the Durango population could say that with a strait face. Mine has been floating around the 13-14 range in the cold weather, 21 would be a dream.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I got 17.90 mpg on wednesday driving from WV to SC doing 70-75mph most of the time and with winter gas. I've gotten as high as 19.25 mpg before on the highway. Usually I get 12-14 average around town with occasional highway.

Quick Reply: My '03 Dodge Durango SXT 4.7L