Problem with changed tie rod passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:18 AM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with changed tie rod passenger side

Hello to all,
2002 Dodge Durango, 4x4 4.7 motor, and I love this vehicle.
Good morning, I need some help, I changed my passenger tie-rod did it by the book. Marked the nut and the threaded rod and measured with calipers before i did anything. Then backed off 1 turn with nut. Broke free the tie-rod from knuckle. Took old one off the put new one on in same place. Tightened nut back the one turn and put tire on.
When I took it down the road seemed fine, but noticed that the steering wheel was off, not center anymore. So I put the steering wheel straight, looked at the Durango from the front and the driver’s side tire was straight perfect vertical line and horizontal line. When I looked at passenger it was out to the left (away from motor pointing outwards) if you looking at it from the front.
When I was changing the tie rod, the whole bar, I guess it would be the inner tie-rod would turn or spin around. I’m not sure how many times, i figured it was like a universal type thing. I couldn't see it because boots were covering it.
Does the inner tie-rod just spin, or does it thread in as well, and could that be the problem.
Should I Undue the passenger tie-rod and turn it inwards (clockwise) more on the threads, will that pull the passenger tire back towards the center.
Thank You for taking the time to read this

Attached Thumbnails Problem with changed tie rod passenger side-000_0001.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

Anytime you change tierods, you can't get around not getting an alignment. I think that would solve your problem.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 PM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur

Thank you for your reply. I will take it to get alignment. I just thought that i might be able to do alignment myself. I looked under the 1st generation DIY section. Is there anything I should let them know other that changing the tie rod. There were quite a few posts that say most garages do it the Lazy way. Is there anything i should measure before i bringing it to the garage tomorrow afternoon?

Hey, thanks for the reply to my post, I'm grateful.

SIxpack Mitchell
Chester, CT
Sixpack.Mitchell@Gmail.com

Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 AM
dxloat
Veteran

Alignments are the one thing I will always have done at a dealer, the one near me charges $60 and I feel that is fair. I am sure there are qualified shops around but done wrong and it will quickly ruin a set of tires.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 AM
slidinsideways06
Rookie

An alignment can't just be done by eye. Toe, camber, and caster are adjusted down to the thousandths and I don't care how good your eye is no way the naked eye is capable of seeing that. I too just had my tie rods changed out. My friend did it by eye, spent a good hour making sure everything was right. The wheel was still off in the truck. When I mounted the tires the following day it came with front end alignment and I saw the printout of the before and after. Before, it was all red and everything was way off. I still have it. I should take a picture of it...

Spend the $60 or so dollars and have it done right by a shop and an alignment rig. Don't settle with "somewhat right" because that leads to worn tires and the tires for these things aren't cheap. 2 Toyo Open Countries for me are close to $300 for two tires.

Last edited by slidinsideways06; 01-20-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 AM
yahir

Whenever you change tierods, you can't get around not getting an arrangement.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 AM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur

Thank you---> Bimmer,Dxloat, slidinsideways06,yahir.
I will spend the money, that was never a issue, Just thought a home mechanic could do it. I love to work on vehicles.My wife would kill me if we burned through our new (2 months old) Falken Wildpeak AT's. So to all that helped me. Thank you and have a (_)> on me.
My next project is to raise this puppy a bit. This forum site has been so helpful in all area's, I think it's one of the best Dodge forums out there.
Take care,, Off to read about suspensions... LOL

Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Assuming your other wheel is still fine you should be able to get the wheel you changed the tie rod on reasonably close to being aligned properly, at least toe wise.

Find a nice smooth and flat surface to work on.

Set the steering so that the wheel that wasn't hit is straight.

In neutral rock the truck back and forth a bit and jounce the suspension to make sure the suspension is settled.

Jack up the front end and adjust the tie rod end on the wheel that got hit until it looks about the same as the other wheel.

While the front end is off the ground put a strip of masking tape along the center of each wheel, then with a sharpie that is stationary and leaning against the tire make a line all the way around on the tape.

Here's a visual of the tape and sharpie line:

Put the truck back on the ground, then rock it forwards and backwards again and jounce the suspension.

Now measure the distance from the line on one wheel to the other on the front and back of the tire. They should be the same if they're aligned properly.

It still won't be bad idea to get a shop to check everything out at that point.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 PM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur

Hey That Guy,
Thank you for your advise. I'm going to try your system tomorrow. After I do it, I will post my results. I love working on any vehicle, so it sounds like fun. I will also, as others have said and take it to the garage. It will be interesting to see how close i could get.
I Have some mechanical ability, I have never really played around with front alignment parts. It's usually tune-ups to heads gaskets changes to transmission swaps, carb rebuilds, yes carb rebuilds, and things of that caliber.
Thank you for your post. I feel confedent and re-ashured from everyones replys.
Chat soon
A friend in the tax you to death state Conecticut..
Sixpack Mitchell
Sixpack.Mitchell@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8334091&type=1

Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, I usually like to have someone with more practice than me do things that need to be very precise, such as alignments and diff gear backlash setting, too. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Problem with changed tie rod passenger side