1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's
Old 08-07-2015, 05:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

Power steering pump replaced but........

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM
dontilgon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump replaced but........

While trying to get the truck out of a pile of snow , it seemed I blew my steering pump. I heard what sounded like a burst of air and then came no power steering. So I go to advance auto and purchase a steering pump for 100 after core exchange. I watch a great video on YouTube for reference (they changed it on a 2001 durango, they just forgot to mention the white spacer when replacing the reservoir on the new pump. I raised the front wheels and bleed before starting. I drove the truck for 2 hours and power steering stopped working. I checked the reservoir and it was still full , just small bubbles. Please any suggestions, this is my only vehicle.could the pump of been defected. Also there is no sensor on the high pressure line

Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like it is cavitating, so it could be the pump or the fluid. Did you use ATF+4 transmission fluid like you’re supposed to?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:18 PM
dontilgon

Damn it......I used regular Power steering fluid. I suppose I have to drain the system. If so how do I go about draining the whole system. I was wondering why it was clear.

Last edited by dontilgon; 02-26-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

You can disconnect the lines and drain it. Might possibly be able to leave the low side disconnected and in a bucket. Add fluid and cycle the steering would be my guess.

Always read the owners manual before adding ANY fluids into your truck.

CAUTION: MOPAR ATF+4 is to be used in the power steering system. No other power steering or automatic transmission fluid is to be used in the system. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system if any other fluid is used, and do not overfill.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

I just picked up 2 qts of this at the stealer. While they do have the ATF+4, they gave me the PS+4 (for power steering) with the same MS- # that is in the manual. They said it's the same thing. In other news, my upper radiator hose looks like it's leaking again where the hoses meet the plastic housing/fill cap. I just replaced that last year for the 2nd time.

SJ02

Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yes I've written all this stuff up years ago. You can find all this information and many other topics I see here already covered in the FAQ link at the top of the section. Here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

ATF+3 and ATF+4 Fluid Facts
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...f-4-facts.html

Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 PM
dontilgon

Thanks for the quick reply.I will give that a shot tomorrow. I will post back when completed

Quick Reply: Power steering pump replaced but........