1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Central Timing Module

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 PM
thurd94
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Central Timing Module

Hey everybody, I figured out what went wrong with the 98 durango 5.2L. The Central Timing Module had gone out. I was able to pull it, mine was on the passenger side behind the dash next to the glove box. I looked online and it is impossible to find unless you trust ebay, which I don't. Now personally I do not trust any advertisement online, but as a last resort I called up AES Modules, based in FL. I had also seen them mentioned in a post for the same problem. Then I did my research, apparently they suck and are a scam, so far they have been very unprofessional. They also told me that not even Dodge/Chrysler could get the part. I sent it to them to be rebuilt and am having regrets. So my initial question is; Has anybody else had this problem, and if so, how have you resolved it? Thanks!!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Most people I knew went to the local junk yard and pulled one of the same year, motor, and options package which worked in their favor. You might be able to use a 1998 as well in yours.

I've heard of people actually matching the part number off the CTM but I don't think they really would work unless the trucks options were the same, lucky.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:48 PM
thurd94
Amateur

I've thought about that and read about it, but was hoping I don't have to go that route. I got the email that it should be back here early this week. Once received I'll toss it in and let ya know how it goes. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill be looking forward to hearing the outcome to this...

Personally, i have heard a lot of horror stories on mail order electronic parts esp. things like TCM's and PCM's. To be fair, i think that these places that offer them are trying to provide a honest cost effective service. I think where it goes south is in the hands of the shipper of these delicate parts.

As someone who has worked for a well known shipper during my college years, i can tell you you that thinking your package was not mishandled atleast once on its trip to you is like saying your wife would pass up a 5k diamond ring...

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Wow, that's just terrible!...Guess I'll be packing things thoroughly from now on.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thurd94
Hey everybody, I figured out what went wrong with the 98 durango 5.2L. The Central Timing Module had gone out. I was able to pull it, mine was on the passenger side behind the dash next to the glove box. I looked online and it is impossible to find unless you trust ebay, which I don't. Now personally I do not trust any advertisement online, but as a last resort I called up AES Modules, based in FL. I had also seen them mentioned in a post for the same problem. Then I did my research, apparently they suck and are a scam, so far they have been very unprofessional. They also told me that not even Dodge/Chrysler could get the part. I sent it to them to be rebuilt and am having regrets. So my initial question is; Has anybody else had this problem, and if so, how have you resolved it? Thanks!!

We can get all kinds of CTMs. They're still popular. I did one of the type in the glove box 2 weeks ago.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM
thurd94
Amateur

Received it today. Put it in, reset the computer by removing neg; key on 30 sec then off; replace neg term. Did nothing. The gauges will not move. When I crank, all dash lights will come on like normal, but just continually cranks. Also once the key is in "on" there is a loud constant clicking noise coming from the passenger side of the engine bay close to the firewall. I've pulled the Auto Shutdown Relay and tried, but still won't start.

Originally Posted by TNtech
We can get all kinds of CTMs. They're still popular. I did one of the type in the glove box 2 weeks ago.
Sounds interesting. Any help?

Old 04-21-2014, 11:03 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thurd94
Received it today. Put it in, reset the computer by removing neg; key on 30 sec then off; replace neg term. Did nothing. The gauges will not move. When I crank, all dash lights will come on like normal, but just continually cranks. Also once the key is in "on" there is a loud constant clicking noise coming from the passenger side of the engine bay close to the firewall. I've pulled the Auto Shutdown Relay and tried, but still won't start.

Sounds interesting. Any help?

Are these the same symptoms you had before, or are they a whole new batch?

I meant that we have no problem getting the CTMs from Chrysler. Most of the time they are 3-4 days (Detroit/Sherwood) away but we can get them.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 PM
thurd94
Amateur

Same symptoms as before. Nothing has changed except that the "Security" light does not come on first saying that it is a problem.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Almost sounds like a bad connection. The 1998-1999 like to "click" about center under dash when there is a bad connection. Take off you terminals and clean them to bare metal. Check and clean all battery cable leads including the PDC and negative on the engine block and other negative braid ropes. Could be a bad battery?

Quick Reply: Central Timing Module