Sound System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 PM
dodgeram04
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System Questions

Hey all!

I wanna put a new deck and door speakers in my wifes 03 Durango for her birthday.

Any do's or donts for this job? Ive never worked on a Durgano yet, was hoping for some pointers.

Ive read a little that they have AMPs and tweeters? Ive had a door skin off, and all I saw was a single speaker.

Thanks for any replies!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

What sound system do you have? If its the infinity system then it is amplified with tweeters in the door. But the base system is not and there is not tweeters. I had the base system in my 98. Full amplified polk system with head unit and sub. It wasn't hard to put in but very time consuming. I don't know about those 01-03 interiors though.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:19 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install of stereo super easy.

Speakers.. Can be easy. I went with infinity kappa component speakers. $150 new for a set on buy.com (normally $2-300 a set). Sounds good and uses my factory amp. I did the amp bypass mod.. Sounded like crap. So I use the factory amp.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM
dodgeram04
Amateur

So there is a factory amp? Even if I don't have the infinity system? The speakers in the doors look like plain paper cones, and the factory deck is a tape player.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PublicHair
Install of stereo super easy.

Speakers.. Can be easy. I went with infinity kappa component speakers. $150 new for a set on buy.com (normally $2-300 a set). Sounds good and uses my factory amp. I did the amp bypass mod.. Sounded like crap. So I use the factory amp.
Wasn't it you that said the factory speakers sounded better than the new ones?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:07 PM
PublicHair
Banned

Originally Posted by that_guy
Wasn't it you that said the factory speakers sounded better than the new ones?
very much so!!

Those OEM speakers are tuned to the vehicle. You have to spend serious money to get some decent sound out of any car most the time..

I wish I would have gone with OEM speakers first time around. However I'm not sure how they'd sound with the factory radio over the aftermarket radio.

Either way I'm happy. Not like I drive the damn thing much anyway..

If you have an amp, it's located on the pass side kick panel. If sitting in the pass seat, near where your right foot rests. That side cover pops off just under the glove box.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:13 PM
dodgeram04
Amateur

Thanks! I will check the kick plate for an amp.

I kinda find it funny you say stock speakers sound better then aftermarket. Wondering why my wife's stock speakers are blown then... Lmao!

Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM
PublicHair
Banned

Mine were blown. You could tell big time.

However my D is fully loaded so not sure how that sound system differs from other trim line sound systems.

I remember from the factory, the Durango SLT Plus sounded amazing. Great bass, and crisp. Listening to Dave Matthews Band sounded great. My favorite song back then in 2000 was "so much to say" from the Crash album.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:33 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PublicHair
However my D is fully loaded so not sure how that sound system differs from other trim line sound systems.
The lower trimlines, the early gen slts and base then the sxt, had the option of a base non-amplified system, which is what mine had. Make it easier to do a build because there is no amp that needs a special adapter. The door has an infinity sticker on it, then it is amplified. I personally just re-wired the whole system and left the factory wire in place (without power of course) in case I ever want to go back/take out my current system.

Quick Reply: Sound System Questions