remotes signal range short

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default remotes signal range short

I have two OEM remotes for my truck.

I noticed a couple months back, I can no longer reach my durango to lock/unlock using the remotes if I am quite a distance away. Say maybe 30-50 feet away. When it did work, the truck can unlock/lock from long distances if I had a fresh battery in the remote.

Now it won't sense my remote more than 10 feet away, at times, not even 10 feet, I have to be next to the truck for it to acknowledge my remote.

At first, I thought it was my remote. I changed the batteries and did not work. One day, got really irritated, I destroyed my remote out of frustration for not being able to unlock the truck.

Took out my 2nd remote (brand new hardly been used) and put in brand new batteries in it. Truck seem to see it from 10 feet away but that is it. At times, I have to be almost next to the truck again for it to acknowledge my remote.

Is there an antennae somehwere that may be lose or something in the truck that is not able to acknowledge my remote from long distances?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Walk away, turn around to look at the truck, hold the remote to your forehead, click. It works, but don't do it if you think you still might need cognitive skills in the future.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 AM
dxloat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah the old resonating signal off the cranium technique.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:16 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That's what I usually end up having to do too. Honestly it seems like my remote locking has moods, sometimes it will work from 30 yards or so, other times it will only work from about 10 feet.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Kensai
Champion

LMAO. I kinda thought I would get some crazy response like that. To tell the truth, I did almost exactly that. I used my body to boost the signal so my truck can respond. But that is not working anymore either!.

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Walk away, turn around to look at the truck, hold the remote to your forehead, click. It works, but don't do it if you think you still might need cognitive skills in the future.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Kensai
Champion

Right now I cannot get the truck to respond farther than 10 feet and at times, not even further then 3 feet!

Originally Posted by that_guy
That's what I usually end up having to do too. Honestly it seems like my remote locking has moods, sometimes it will work from 30 yards or so, other times it will only work from about 10 feet.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:04 PM
dxloat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine quit working all together and I'm too cheap to worry about it so I have to use the key. But the really weird thing about it is if I try to unlock the driver door with the key it sets off the alarm but the passenger side doesn't oddly. So in my opinion 3 feet ain't bad.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:31 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That's probably the sensor in the door going bad. Lightning struck close to my Durango once and now the key sets off the alarm in both doors and the hatch, so I just use the remote all the time.

Quick Reply: remotes signal range short