1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Front End Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 PM
tshephard
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 Front End Updates

I have gotten 15 years, 140K, and quite a few front end bumps and such on my 99. I have enough to replace it may be worthwhile to update as I believe Dodge changed some parts along the way.

I need some advice in 2 areas:

1 Radiator and Fan/Clutch system, and associated parts...
I would love to go to an electric fan, I read Dodge moved radiators when they added such. Exactly how much would I need to get for it all to look OE on my 99? Can I basically go from my frame/radiator crossbars to the new system, changing just plastic along the way?

2 Same idea, but for the the covered bumper and valance. Is it compatible from my frame 'out' if I get all the little brackets? Do the same fogs work?

3 And do I need to do both for both to work? Does moved radiator required newer bumper or vice versa?

THANKS!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Oldschool swapped his 98 over to the 01 cooling system with the mechanical and auxiliary fans. I went for the full electric fan swap. Either are doable.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 AM
tshephard
Rookie

I didn't realise there was a combo choice - is it factory?
Is full electric factory?
For either, can you tell me which years and model details to look at?
Pics of yours or his?

THX

Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 PM
that_guy
Champion

The mechanical and auxiliary fan are stock for 01-03. All electric wasn't ever stock, but it's a pretty popular mod to use the fan from a late 80s early 90s Taurus 3.8l.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:01 AM
tshephard
Rookie

OK - that kinda makes sense - they needed to change the radiator space so both the mech system and the electric would fit.

Anyone know about the bumper/fascia?

And a combo of both or either?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:38 PM
that_guy
Champion

It should just be the radiator & shroud (ac condenser maybe too) that changed, I think the core support is still the same too.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the radiator and shroud should bolt up just fine without any modifications.

the bumper i would expect to bolt up just fine, but even if you have to make spacers or brackets it can be made to fit without too much trouble (i havent done this myself, just going off what i remember it looks like behind the bumper)

Old 10-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a little late on this but here it goes FWIW.....

I had to replace....

* The radiator, fits in the same bottom mounting holes and is slightly recessed back to account for the E-fan.

* The steel cross member (one that holds the hood latch) as the mounting thread locations are a bit wider. You could get away with a washer and some self tapping screws if you really want to.

* A/C condensor, Mounts completely different than the pre-00 versions however if your remove the plastic housing its mounted to it is possible to mount it to the radiator with some aftermarket oil cooler ties.

* Shroud, the window washer and coolent bottles are built into it. Had to extend the run of hose and wires to make it work to pass state inspection.

* upper radiator hose, the radiator cap was moved there... with out it you will not be able to fill the radiator... even if you could it will overheat and build up mad pressure.

*lower radiator hose, the port moved from the bottom to the middle of the radiator.

That's all I can remember replacing. all in all it was worth doing as my A/C temp out of the vent dropped about 20 degrees as well as the "under the hood" temp.

As far as changing the bumper i'm still using my 98 bumper with plenty of room left over.. HTH

Old 10-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than the bumper having a one piece full plastic cover, and the metal part that used to be the top of the bumper is now inside as the inner bumper. I don't believe the space behind it is any different. The electric fan does seem to make a big difference in how cool things stay at a stop, on a really hot day, mom and dad's 99 with a mechanical fan only gets rather hot when stopped, and the A/C really suffers. My 01 doesn't do this, it keeps fairly cool, and the A/C keeps up much better as well. I believe its all about how much air is being moves across the radiator when stopped.

Quick Reply: 99 Front End Updates