1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Water Pump Bolts...breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Flat4Tom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Bolts...breaking?

Hello all,

I'm in the middle of a water pump change due to the pump starting to dump anitfreeze all over the place. My car is a '01 Durango, 5.9 R/T 4x4.

I'm at the point in the process where I'm unbolting the water pump. Half of the bolts loosened nicely when broke loose. Others are VERY tight, so much so I'm thinking the bolts might be breaking instead of loosening.

Is there any history of these bolts breaking in the block? I've read about intake manifold and exhaust manifold and thermostat housing bolts but nothing here about water pump bolts. I guess anything is possible.

I've broken them loose, sprayed them with PB Blaster, move them slightly back and forth, resprayed them, then let them set overnight. I'm planning on spraying them again tonight, rocking them back and forth again then let them sit overnight again before I attempt their full removal.

Anybody have any tricks on removing these before I try again? Are these bolts prone to breaking or am I just being paranoid? Yeah, I'm worried about it, can you tell??

This is my first major repair on this car and it has gone smoothly until now.
I DON'T want to break the bolts off! They just feel 'weird' to me and too tight, not loosening up properly...

TIA
Tom

Old 12-02-2015, 04:53 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same truck and did the pump a few months ago. I do not recall anything out of the ordinary for either all the bolts for the main A/C+alt bracket or for the pump itself.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Flat4Tom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the reply.

Worked on it last night and was able to pull all of the bolts out with none of them breaking! So it's all down hill from here on out reassembling everything.

I found it interesting / disconcerting that a couple of the bolt holes let antifreeze out when I pulled them so they must go into the water jacket. So I guess I'll need to seal those threads with something when I reinstall....?

Thanks
Tom

Old 02-13-2022, 08:47 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Yup. The 4 long bolts go thru the timing cover and back into the block. Been that way since the 318 came out in the 60s

Old 02-14-2022, 10:38 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat4Tom
Thx for the reply.

Worked on it last night and was able to pull all of the bolts out with none of them breaking! So it's all down hill from here on out reassembling everything.

I found it interesting / disconcerting that a couple of the bolt holes let antifreeze out when I pulled them so they must go into the water jacket. So I guess I'll need to seal those threads with something when I reinstall....?

Thanks
Tom

Yep, and be sure to clean the bolts with a wire wheel before you put everything back together. It'll be an easier reassembly, better seal and if you have to go in again, easier disassembly. I generally like to use #2 seal-a-gasket on bolt sealing, if it's even made anymore.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Uh, guys, this thread is from 2015... I would REALLY like to think he has this fixed by now......

Old 02-14-2022, 06:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Uh, guys, this thread is from 2015... I would REALLY like to think he has this fixed by now......

Well, he might be like a young woman who marries an elderly man. Very patient. Seriously, this thread might pop up in a search and the new search may lead to a new member.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:43 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Good things come to those who wait. He can finally close the hood, stretch his back, shave that long beard, shower and the other "S".... You have released him from the curse of the unresolved water pump.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Bolts...breaking?