1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Well... I'm Baaaaack...P1762 HELL.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:35 AM
foamhand
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well... I'm Baaaaack...P1762 HELL.

2000 Durango 5.9L 4WD 46RE auto trans, 118,000 miles. I'm living in P1762 hell now. 3rd time in less than 10,000 miles I've had to have a shop drop the pan on the trans and check for damage from erratic shifting problem. Fluid still looks clean they said. Had bare trans harness wires and transmission plug repaired with new plug. P1764 code went away but P1762 remains.

New PCM in Dec 2014. Took it to local dodge dealer last time. They said they had to put in a new governor solenoid and pressure sensor. I told them no as it had just been done twice in 6 months, 1st time by you. I wanted them to stick the PCM on their DRBIII scan tool and check it. They said that wouldn't do anything until the pressure sensor/solenoid was replaced. Awaiting final troubleshooting by a local AAMCO trans tech before returning to Dodge WITH DOCUMENTATION on what has been done. I hate being poor or I'd go buy another car...lol.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:57 PM
foamhand
Amateur
Default 6th bad PCM

Well, latest trans shop diagnosed another bad PCM..this one was the $1000 mopar reman from the dealer. Short circuit on C2 pin 29 causing phantom P1762 code.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REBUILD A PCM THE RIGHT WAY ANYMORE?

All Computer resources doesn't.
O'Reilly's local supplier doesn't.
Apparently MOPAR doesn't.

Well, maybe the SIXTH PCM will be the charm.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Just guessing here, but could the PCM have been damaged when wires were shorted?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:39 PM
ThatThingGotAHemi

I work at O'Reilly, and am constantly surprised by how many Dodge/Jeep PCM failures we see.

Ive always been curious as to what actually is rebuilt on a reman PCM, I would imagine they just reuse the case and replace the boards. I cant imagine them trying to repair the damaged boards, right?

I also think the above comment has merit, a short in the wiring couold have very well damaged the PCM.

Hopefully you get this resolved soon.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:46 PM
foamhand
Amateur
Default shorts were checked...

Dodge repaired a few bare wires on the trans harness before installing the PCM (stated in their service record) in Jan 2015. When I had another trans shop check the wiring harness 6 months later when the P1762 code came up, they said all Dodge service did was wrap some electrical tape around the wires. They knew of the harness condition before installing the PCM and the PCM worked fine for 6 months. They did not warn me of any warranty issues when they did the work on the harness and they let it out of their shop that way.

I had the local AAMCO shop service the trans and replace the entire harness last week. They disconnected the TRS connector and downstream 02 sensor and checked for continuity and shorts. Good continuity with all wires and no shorts found. They cut the wire that is the return signal wire from the governor pressure sensor to the pcm and tested for voltage. No signal voltage coming from Governor pressure sensor but +5.3V on the PCM side of the wire.

If Dodge tries to **** out, I will show them that they "Repaired" the harness in their notes and called it good. I was also told that PCM's have self protection built in to a point and a reboot should clear any false codes. The P1762 code would clear but then come right back. I think this one is on Dodge service.

At least my trans has been thoroughly flushed...Fluid and filter changed 3 times in 17,000 miles trying to fix this code / erratic shifting problem.

Last edited by foamhand; 08-24-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:24 PM
foamhand
Amateur
Default Auto Repair is legalized crime...

Just got the call from Dodge. They said it's not the PCM .They want me to spend $735 (approx 8 hrs@ $95.+/hr) in diagnostics to find out 100% that it is not the computer. They said that the other trans shop was wrong in their diagnosis and there should be 5.3+ Volts on that wire. The service tech said there is a 1% chance that it is the PCM but they still think it's something else but the only way to 100% prove it is to do $735 worth of tests. I guess that fancy $6000 DRBIII scan tool doesn't diagnose crap. I can't bounce back to the other trans shop now as it's going to be a constant "they said it was this...oh no they were wrong...it's this... BS battle, and If I have a prayer at all in getting the warranty on the PCM IF their 1% prediction comes true and it really is the PCM then I have to let Dodge service do the work. I wish I could sue someone for being deceitful, and it seems the auto repair world is full of deceit.

I'm not rich and my credit sucks so if their thinking I would just get tired of all this and buy a new car from them they're sooo wrong. I have to have this car running as I have been diagnosed with Stage 4 prostate cancer and have to travel to University of Utah for my treatments once a month.

Oh well, so much for my rant. If I hadn't already rebuilt 70% of everything else on this car from the front end to the entire cooling system and if the engine didn't do so good, I'd let the Duck Dynasty crew blow it up with dynamite...lol. I'll report back when it's all over.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This really sounds like an electrical short. Has anyone checked the whole harness outside of the tranny? Wouldn't be the first time an issue was caused by some sort of vermin chewing on wires. You'd be surprised at how many guys skip the visual inspection, a very vital step that I've learned many times over, and go straight to the scan tool.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:06 AM
foamhand
Amateur
Default Costs have become ridiculous

It very well may be an electrical short, But I thought the scan tool would show that. I don't know much about auto diagnostic computers. I can't believe shop labor rates have gone to +/- $100 an hour. I remember the old days when I could get my Turbo Hydramatic 350 Chevy trans completely rebuilt for $350. Auto Repair costs are getting like Social Security...eventually it will become unsustainable as average people just won't be able to afford it. Hell, for $96/hr I should be getting a Bugatti Veyron worked on.

I also laugh when mechanics compare themselves to doctors when justifying high labor rates. Doctors don't COMPLETELY shut down a human (kill them) to operate on them and then bring them back to life (except in very rare surgeries). When a mechanic can complete repairs on a vehicle WHILE IT'S RUNNING...then I'll believe they have the right to compare themselves to doctors....lol. A doctor putting someone under and operating is more comparable to working on an engine at idle.

With the computing power available these days there's no excuse that car computers and their diagnostic computers shouldn't be designed where things get plugged in and within 30min or less every problem should be diagnosed. Maybe the 2017 models are like that. I'm too poor to ever know and I will never buy another new car again. If I get another car, it will be a restoration no later than 1973 with NO COMPUTERS and just a carburetor, points, condenser etc. where I can do all the work myself.

If it ends up being the PCM, I'm really going to hammer them that the diagnosis time should fall under the 2 year parts and labor warranty, and if they argue, I may need to get an attorney involved.

Last edited by foamhand; 08-26-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:44 PM
foamhand
Amateur

Well, just talked to an attorney and a small claims lawsuit is out. I would be suing Chrysler and they would just petition the court to move the case from small claims court up to district court and then I would need to hire an attorney to compete with their attorneys. More deceit at work in our society.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:23 PM
foamhand
Amateur

Interesting note, after adding up all the tickets...in the last 2 years dealing with PCM and trans issues, I've spent $3,394.95 and I still cant get it to reliably do what it did for the first 70,000 miles since I bought it. I should have just bought a new PCM and transmission at the same time.

Quick Reply: Well... I'm Baaaaack...P1762 HELL.