WTB: ECM 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7l

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:11 AM
krazybob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB: ECM 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7l

I hope this is an acceptable post.

I m looking for an ECM for a 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7l. My mechanic cannot locate one. Not to mention he keeps jacking the price up. He replaced I believe the flow control device and it still failed smog twice. He has concluded that the only thing left is the ECM. Umm... really? I know that I'm a consumer that hasn't done major work in years (disabled) but really?

At any rate, I guess I need an ECM. It must be fully warrantied and refundable based on mutually acceptable terms, and able to be programmed. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Victim of eBay electronics I guess.

Any help would really be appreciated. On a fixed income I cannot afford a new 4x4.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

What exactly is failing?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:44 AM
krazybob
Rookie

Thank you for your reply.

I don't want to speak ill of the mechanic. He's always been great although he is well established, always slammed and commands a higher rate. He's always squeezed me in and since I am disabled gets me home and back. Nice guy with customer service!

With that said, I ran my CarMD on it and got a P0456 EVAP small leak 0.020" and P0441 EVAP Purge control monitor fault. I told him and he laughed about how much they love those things -- but then got the same diag codes on their machine. They replaced the Purge Control Monitor and it failed SMOG a second time. He concluded at that point that it could only be the ECM. There is no indication that he has done a smoke or infrared scan and no indication that he has plugged directly into the 16-pin ODB2 connector and manually opened/closed the solenoids. He's got a busy shop and my 2003 Durango comes second to the quick in and out profit makers. That I think is just the reality of it. Business is business.

I HAVE had problems getting a gas cap that fits correctly. They SAY they are the right one but even then a couple weeks into it the Check Engine light would come back on.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

So it's failing for a check engine light. Not actual smog (tailpipe sniffer) test.....

Old 04-13-2017, 01:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the evap leak is likely a dry rotted hose, or a cracked charcoal canister, neither one is fun to find, even with a smoke machine (been there done that on my gfs relatively new hyundai). and the purge control monitor could be set by any other problem with the evap system, the purge solenoid, the vent solenoid. unfortunatley tracing evap problems is similar to chasing electrical gremlins takes time and patience.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 AM
krazybob
Rookie

In California I can go to the SMOG referee after $650 out of pocket and they will waive the SMOG for the two year period. But then I either resolve the issue or scrap the vehicle. I can't afford new payments but may not have a choice. I live in snow country and must have 4x4 that actually works. None of the AWD stuff. Something higher profile. I like the Tahoe's with real 4x4 but not the $500.mo. payments. I can't really tell the mechanic how to do his job. I can tell you how that would go already :-)

Old 04-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I've been down the path with my Dakota. Without looking at it (am at work), I recall that the evap hoses connected somewhere near, or under the battery and the other ends, somewhere on top of the motor. I squeezed both hose ends and found one with a big crack. Sliced that off, reconnected and was good for the most part.

I still get a small leak CEL once in a while, but if I clear it, I'm good for many months. These vids may help explain.

Leak detection pump or hoses can be bad too. On my quad cab Dakota, it's located below the drivers seat, under the truck.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:03 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have NEVER replaced a PCM for a P0441 and P0456. You have a leak and he can't find it or you have a faulty Evap part.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:52 AM
krazybob
Rookie

Makes sense to me. I overheard him telling someone on the phone that he just wants the "easy jobs." I have an OBD II fail and that's all.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
I have NEVER replaced a PCM for a P0441 and P0456. You have a leak and he can't find it or you have a faulty Evap part.
Completely agree.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-15-2017 at 09:37 AM.