1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TPS issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:25 PM
rnrphoto98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS issues

Hi all
I have an 03 Durango with the 4.7. A few months ago I started to get the wandering Rpm's so I replaced the TPS. All was great till last week when it started acting up again rpms going up and down again. Then yesterday, I put on the cruise control and the engine just died, had to pull to side of hwy, tried to start it, it would rev up and just die. Finally I turned the key off waited a min and it started up. I thought it was because of the cruise control at first. 5 min it later without cruise on it died again. Same thing. It did that twice. Check engine light came on I got a 0068 and 0121 code. So I replaced the TPS again and it is running fine.
So my question is, is it normal for a TPS to go bad so fast? Is there anything else that would make it go out?
It seems like there are a lot of things that function by working together with other sensors and the main computer, I just don't know what would affect the TPS.
Thanks
Rob

Old 08-26-2017, 03:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

TPS is just a variable resistor. It gets a 5 volt signal from the PCM, and the return voltage is less..... so, in theory, they should last a good long time..... Thats for factory parts though. The super-cheap-china-made-crap..... you are lucky if it works at all. So, for critical sensors on your truck, go to the dealer for replacement parts. Sure, they cost more, but, chances are good, you will only have to replace it once.

Welcome to DF!