1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Oli consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM
George Genovezos
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Have you gotten under the truck and inspected the underside of the engine? That much oil has to show somewhere.

I have. It looks clean.

I'll look down the TB ASAP

Old 07-13-2018, 07:11 AM
jims
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

I had the same issue , almost 30 years ago with a small block 350 Chevy engine.. it ended up being the cheapest oil the local gas station had that magically disappeared.. being it was in a stepvan running daily I just carried extra with me.. filled it so often I never thought to do a oil change..true story.. the little things.. g/l
​​​

Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 PM
FlynDodge
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found a lot of sediment in the engine block (from manufacturing) that settles about an inch+ think at the bottom corners of these blocks. That tends to trap the icky rust you are trying to flush out. You will eventually get back to green, but one flush isn't going to do it.

Something to be aware of on an abused cooling system like this is that the freeze plugs are galvanized steel from the factory and without the additional rust protection from an effective coolant, you will probably have rusty freeze plugs that will eventually rust through and start to fail on you. Sadly, the ones at the back of the engine require separating the transmission from the engine to get to. Now, don't lose sleep over this, just try to keep that coolant fresh from now on and that will slow down the process.

Quick Reply: Oli consumption