1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Not shifting 1-2 2-3 when warm.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:33 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

No, I think you unplugged the wrong connector. Pretty sure the one you're looking for is round.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Yep, it's a round connector. Plugs straight down into the top of the valve body, (outside the trans...) about halfway back, on the drivers side. It's a pain to get to on 4x4s.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:52 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, it's a round connector. Plugs straight down into the top of the valve body, (outside the trans...) about halfway back, on the drivers side. It's a pain to get to on 4x4s.

damn it’s a curse to have 4x4 lol. Will look into it tomorrow. I have hopeful thinking I just need to replace the governor pressure transducer, pressure solenoid and the overdrive solenoid. I know when the front band was adjusted, the drum wasn’t scratched up at all.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Didn’t have a chance today to try that out. Someone in the family had a birthday? Lol. Anyway, appointment with Aamco tomorrow at 8am will hopefully give me some insight. Reviews look pretty top notch compared to other trans shops in the area. I am skeptical on their “free diag”. Just have a huntch they will take a look and just say ”yeah needs a rebuild” I’ll keep you guys posted. Maybe tomorrow I’ll find myself in a junk yard getting the solenoids and such since I’m too broke to buy them at the moment...

Old 12-17-2018, 12:17 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Just got done with Aamco. It’s those 3 solenoids that I mentioned above. They wanted $609 after tax for this. So I’m heading to the junkyard and hope and pray the part I get there works

Old 12-17-2018, 05:18 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Well I think I might have fixed it? Don’t want to jinx it. So I got the solenoids from the junk yard. Actually looked in great shape and didn’t have a single bit of sludge buildup on them. It turns out I got the wrong solenoids except for the governor pressure. All the others were wrong connector types. So I cleaned the current solenoids that I didn’t replace as best as I can. Took the Dodge around the block, got into some nice school traffic, seems like it’s shifting wayyy too soon, so that’s probably tv cable related. Shifts from 1-2 at about 1600 rpms(is this normal for these?). 2-3 at about 1900 rpms. Then again this is just dip derping around the neighborhood and not flooring it.

Anyway, going to take her up on the highway in a bit. Nearly chipped my tooth when I was putting the pan back up(opps).

Old 12-17-2018, 05:22 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

I have attached images.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:23 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheCableGuy
I have attached images.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Check the TV cable, and also verify trans fluid level. You have to check fluid in neutral. Checking in park will give an artificially high reading.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 AM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the TV cable, and also verify trans fluid level. You have to check fluid in neutral. Checking in park will give an artificially high reading.
Yeah I know the fluid levels unfortunately have to be checked while in N (damnit dodge!) but the levels are at the Max line even after it’s been driven a good 10 miles. Drove it around a bunch last night. Only thing I’ve noticed is the shifting too soon, and sometimes I feel a kick feeling when coming to a stop sign like it was stuck in 2nd and kicks to 1st a little too late or something. . I had this issue in my Sierra and it was way worse in that truck than like this. In the Sierra I would feel like kick 2 times or so when I came to a full stop after say going 55mph. Drove that truck like that for 140K and never saw a change. Going to mess with the tv cable today. I know it’s in the “stock” setting that me and my supervisor did earlier last week. Still need to clear the CEL codes out and see if they come back on, as I still have 4 codes on there..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not shifting 1-2 2-3 when warm.