1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Another transmission post.. 46RE 214K

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:00 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It still has the original upper arms, but with polyurethane bushings. No unusual tire wear or other odd behavior. The upper arms are mounted in slotted holes.

Charger is a 5.7 AWD.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
It still has the original upper arms, but with polyurethane bushings. No unusual tire wear or other odd behavior. The upper arms are mounted in slotted holes.

Charger is a 5.7 AWD.
Darn mine are not, I had one off. The after market arm has slots. What the heck, they gypped me..

I really like that 5/7, it seems to have power everywhere, no matter what it's in.
How do they get away with calling it a hemi, the pistons are flat. Is it cas the plug is in the center?
I don't care there fast and don't fly apart, even the first ones out. Like a perfect engine,"almost"..

Last edited by ZipperStar; 02-05-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It's been years since I messed with them changing the bushings, but the mounting points on the frame on mine are slotted and the bolts go through that and thread into the arms.

The hemi was originally referring to the hemishperical shaped combustion chambers, but I think they did have domed pistons. The new hemis really don't truly have hemishperical chambers. All the newer hemis have dual spark plugs, one to each side of the valves.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Originally Posted by that_guy
It's been years since I messed with them changing the bushings, but the mounting points on the frame on mine are slotted and the bolts go through that and thread into the arms.

The hemi was originally referring to the hemishperical shaped combustion chambers, but I think they did have domed pistons. The new hemis really don't truly have hemishperical chambers. All the newer hemis have dual spark plugs, one to each side of the valves.
Ya, that's why I never figured why they called it a hemi. Yes were familiar with the original hemi's, the piston was dome and head was as well to make it a hemi. For emission reasons they stayed with the squared off design, except two plugs. I'm not upset they run like hell, but surprised they never got sued for selling a squared off engine as a hemi. Oh well who cares, I'm getting one next, not sure how old it will be, but I'm going to enjoy working on it and driving it as well.
I'll bet your Charger really sticks to the road with a good feel. Those are indeed awesome vehicles.!!

Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
TV cable just tells the trans how hard you are stepping on the go pedal. The harder you step on the pedal, the longer the trans will hold lower gears, and shifts will be firmer. (higher pressures allowed) PCM still regulates base pressure though, so, as you slow down, it will step drop gears when appropriate.
I don't think any of the new vehicles use detent cables, there all electronic I guess now. As throttles are also, it seems no more cables..

Quick Reply: Another transmission post.. 46RE 214K