1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Another transmission post.. 46RE 214K

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another transmission post.. 46RE 214K

What’s up gents. I made a post about a month ago on some transmission issues I had. The only part I was able to replace at the time was the governor pressure solenoid, and it fixed majority of my shifting problems. What it never fixed was my CEL, even after resetting and I have issues with down shifting when coming to a stop sign/red light. I’ll try to explain.

When I’m coming to a stop sign, the rpms drop to about 500, I feel vibrations and then it shifts into 1st gear and the rpms go back up to 600. I don’t find it an issue but it concerns me.

The other thing I noticed is OD works fine, but it’s very delayed. Like I have to really put the pedal down far for it to kick in. I’m unsure if this is normal for Dodges... the CEL codes are, 1740, 0711, 0712,0713. Again, about 4 weeks ago I was only able to buy a governor pressure solenoid and my shifting problems from 1-2, 2-3 were fixed.

Now that I have a little bit more cash, I’m considering doing things like a normal person and buy the solenoid kit from eBay for $100. My other question is how hard is it to replace the OD/TCC solenoid. Last I checked it seems like they have a wiring harness that you can’t remove. So, how hard would it be to change out this. I personally never dropped the valve body. I’m open to all opinions, Aamco took a look at it a month ago and just said the solenoids are going out. So I’m hoping to by time before a rebuild it needed.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Rumor has it, you don't really need to drop the valve body to change those.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Default Coolant leak somewhere now.

So the transmission issue is on the back burner. Got a new issue. Loosing coolant. Don’t think I’d want to start another topic so I’ll post it here.

Got a slow drip/leak when the truck is off coming from the drivers side manifold area. I didn’t have a chance last night to take stuff apart to exactly see but I assume this is the freeze plug related. Haven’t over heated. But my overflow tank is low after a day of driving. Already changed the cap. Nothing else and the only leak I see again, is near the back side of the exhaust manifold. Thoughts and opinions please.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Clean everything off really well, run the engine up to temp, shut it off, and go leak hunting. It *might* just be coming around the exhaust manifold bolt itself. (you should be so lucky..... )

Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clean everything off really well, run the engine up to temp, shut it off, and go leak hunting. It *might* just be coming around the exhaust manifold bolt itself. (you should be so lucky..... )

So I had my most trusted mechanic look at it. Valve head freeze plug is leaking pretty good. He also said I have a small oil leak coming from the drivers side valve cover. He will do the freeze plug for $120 because I’m good friends with him. He says all I need to do is buy a rubber expandable plug, also mentioned the brass plug will probably be a harder job to do. Anyone know the dimensions off the bat?

Honesty looks like a real pain in the A to do. Also, this is on the drivers side of I forgot to mention.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it's the one on the back of the head, yeah, those are a pain. No access with the engine installed.... Don't know just what size though.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:37 AM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it's the one on the back of the head, yeah, those are a pain. No access with the engine installed.... Don't know just what size though.
yeah I have no idea how he’s going to do it. But he said he wouldn’t have to move much, mentioned that he’s done it too many times on these lol. I think I found the size, by reading up on other posts on here. 1 5/8 Luckily, a few part shops here have it in stock. Should be fun.

Valve cover gasket needs to be replaced and this honestly is easy. Haven’t done it on this engine but others (350, and 302). While I’m at it considering getting some that are coated red instead of the stock black looking.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:39 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't waste your time with one of those rubber freeze plugs. They don't last.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:09 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by that_guy
Don't waste your time with one of those rubber freeze plugs. They don't last.
that's actuslly the kind he’s going to install. One of the expandable ones. He said that’s all he’s ever used and has never had a problem with. He said overall, brass is best, but said at the angle it would require removing allot of stuff to do it this way. He also mentioned replacing a rubber plug if it fails is easier to replace in the future if it does so.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have one that didn't stay in somewhere in my garage in a bag still that would disagree with him.

Quick Reply: Another transmission post.. 46RE 214K