1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake pedal wont fully return

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Aspenglo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal wont fully return

1999 Durango 4WD 5.9L Vehicle sat a few weeks after a long drive in Utah's salty winter roads. Brakes work but the pedal will not fully return to normal, must pull it up in order for brakes to fully release. Replaced master cylinder, brake booster, front calipers and flushed system. Brakes release but pedal still must be pulled up to fully release brakes? There is no return spring on the brake pedal so I assume the m/c spring should be sufficient to move pedal back to the 'normal' position. Any ideas what could be causing this? I have run out of ideas.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Put some lube on the pedal pivot bushings.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:58 PM
Aspenglo

I tried that also. Didn't work.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:44 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You might have a stuck brake. I'd jack up one end, apply the brakes and leave them stuck, then see if both wheels turn by hand freely. If ok, do the other end.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Aspenglo
I tried that also. Didn't work.
Pull it apart, clean and lube everything.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:31 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is EXTREMELY UNSAFE to drive it in this condition. You should not drive it until it is fixed.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:15 PM
Drea70
Default Brake pedal won't recover

Originally Posted by Aspenglo
1999 Durango 4WD 5.9L Vehicle sat a few weeks after a long drive in Utah's salty winter roads. Brakes work but the pedal will not fully return to normal, must pull it up in order for brakes to fully release. Replaced master cylinder, brake booster, front calipers and flushed system. Brakes release but pedal still must be pulled up to fully release brakes? There is no return spring on the brake pedal so I assume the m/c spring should be sufficient to move pedal back to the 'normal' position. Any ideas what could be causing this? I have run out of ideas.
I have the same problem with my 2000 dodge durango. I have to pull up pedal to release brakes. did you ever find the fix?

Old 02-01-2023, 09:48 AM
swiftjr
Default It's the bloody cheezy bushings...

Originally Posted by Drea70
I have the same problem with my 2000 dodge durango. I have to pull up pedal to release brakes. did you ever find the fix?
I just purchased a 1999 Durango, 5.2l SLT. Last thing to fix was the bloody non-return brake pedal. The easiest way to check is to pull the pin on the pedal and unhook the master cylinder to check. If once disconnected you still have to be hercules to move the pedal, it's the bushings. I am saving the replacement until we have warmer weather. In the meantime, I used every lube known to man, along with heat and got it 90% free. The SCARY thing is the new bushings are about as thick as paper. What the hell Dodge? I know it's just a pivot point, but come on.
The GOOD news is, it has just over 94k and the 5.2 was just rebuilt. The previous 2 owners could not get it out of limp mode, so the motor has 0 miles on the rebuild. $1300 bucks!!! I bought a used programmed PCM for 85 bucks and good as new. The interior is perfect.
Cheers and good luck!

Old 02-01-2023, 12:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by swiftjr
I just purchased a 1999 Durango, 5.2l SLT. Last thing to fix was the bloody non-return brake pedal. The easiest way to check is to pull the pin on the pedal and unhook the master cylinder to check. If once disconnected you still have to be hercules to move the pedal, it's the bushings. I am saving the replacement until we have warmer weather. In the meantime, I used every lube known to man, along with heat and got it 90% free. The SCARY thing is the new bushings are about as thick as paper. What the hell Dodge? I know it's just a pivot point, but come on.
The GOOD news is, it has just over 94k and the 5.2 was just rebuilt. The previous 2 owners could not get it out of limp mode, so the motor has 0 miles on the rebuild. $1300 bucks!!! I bought a used programmed PCM for 85 bucks and good as new. The interior is perfect.
Cheers and good luck!

You stole it. Congrats on the amazing purchase.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
sporta (02-05-2023), swiftjr (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Aspenglo

Originally Posted by Drea70
Yes, for a year or so I had a spring attached to physically pull the brake pedal up. ( Only used the car occasionally, maybe 200 mile in a year, mostly for launching a boat and hauling a trailer to the dumps) I finally replaced the master cylinder again and it worked. The first part I replace was the MC but it must have been defective! The piston seemed really hard to depress but I guess it was not strong enough to push the brake pedal back up. Phil

Quick Reply: Brake pedal wont fully return