1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 Durango issues. (Failing Pcm?) 4.7L 250k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 PM
DodgeGeekr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Durango issues. (Failing Pcm?) 4.7L 250k miles

This weekend we went on a trip to Kansas hauling a 3.5k lbs trailer and about a 1.6k load. We turned off overdrive for the hole way and used cruise control and about an hour in the cruise control just shut off and we were decelerating got back on the gas and tried turning it back on and nothing, restarting the car does nothing unless it sits for more than 10min roughly and this issue happened most of the trip.
On the way back we noticed higher fuel consumption and didn't think much. About 4 hours from home I was trying to pull ahead of a car to get to my exit,gave it a good amount of throttle and the engine revved up from 2.5k to 4-5k instantly (this also happened when ever giving it to much throttle).
But this time a grinding sound appeared and a slight bang, I let off and tried accelerating and nothing happened it acted like it was in neutral pulled over and thinking ooooohh **** I blew the trans up, turned off the car and turned it back on and was able to get to a rest area and check the codes using the on board diagnostics (turning the key 3 times from off to on) noticed a bunch of codes. (Keep in mind that the codes p0340 and p0344 I've been struggling with the past few months and replaced the sensor and didn't fix it. The code probably pops on 3 times a month and goes away after so many miles anyways I don't notice any difference so I ignored it) also the codes p0340 and 0344 mostly happened when using cruise control during the trip between 2-3.5k rpm the codes appeared and the engine light would come on and go off after 100mi.
The codes that all popped up at one time are:
P0622
P0113
P0118
P0517
P0073
P0108
P0522
P0533
P0123
All of these codes popped up after the transmission acted up. I also noticed my fuel light would not come on when the DTE range hit 40mi but came on around 25mi left of range. The battery voltage did fluctuate from 14.2-12.7v at times.
The Durango has the original engine,trans, and pcm.
Could the pcm be going out? I am so stumped.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

P0622 Generator Field control malfunction. That one right there will make all sorts of interesting stuff happen...... Fix it first, clear codes, and see what comes back.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:35 PM
DodgeGeekr
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
P0622 Generator Field control malfunction. That one right there will make all sorts of interesting stuff happen...... Fix it first, clear codes, and see what comes back.
So I'm wondering if the cam sensor issue is causing all of this issue because when coming home from pulling thr trailer I noticed that when giving it more throttle (about 10% throttle to 35%) the engine would rev up to about 4k ish instantly then a pop sound from the exhaust then I start dropping speed and cannot accelerate at this time the check engine light comes on. as I slow down the rpm's start dropping and when I get to 0 mph the engine stalls then it starts right up. When this issue happens the code p0344 happens. I'm thinking the sensor has a bad communication wire and is loosing signal? This also happens when i use cruise control but it's a different symptom. I still hear the pop in the exhaust check engine light pops on then cruise control turns on but I'm still able to accelerate.
I am so confused. I really dont really want to throw parts at it. Is their away I can test a possibility faulty pcu?

Old 05-14-2019, 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Low voltage will cause that too..... Fix the alternator problem.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 PM
car5car
Amateur

Are you sure, you have a Durango, not a Jaguar? It is very common for Jaguars, everything stops working right because of bad battery or alternator.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 PM
DodgeGeekr
Amateur

Low voltage will cause that too..... Fix the alternator problem.
When idle my running voltage is 13.9-14v when revving it goes to 14.2v. this is the original alternator.
With the front and rear blower and headlights on the voltage drops to 13.5 then goes up to 13.9-14v.
How could I test it any more? The voltage issue from before we're is dropped to 12.7v only happened once for about 1min I'd thought I mention it. My Question is could a alternator be failing with out voltage issues?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, it's amps that matter. Any of the big chain auto parts stores should be able to load test your alternator while it is still on the truck. Give it a shot, see what they have to say.

Also, clear all the codes, and see what comes back.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:34 AM
DodgeGeekr
Amateur

Yep, it's amps that matter. Any of the big chain auto parts stores should be able to load test your alternator while it is still on the truck. Give it a shot, see what they have to say.

Also, clear all the codes, and see what comes back.
Cleared the codes and nothing cam back. After a drive from work the engine made a exhaust poping noise and the check engine light came on then I wasn't able to accelerate as soon as I pulled over the engine stalled and it started right up. The check engine light was for the code p0344. I can't seem to loose this code. Sensor has been replaced already.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Possibly a wiring problem then. May want to visually inspect the harness between the PCM, and the sensor.

Also, it has been noted that an intermittent CRANK sensor signal can cause this code as well.

Was your replacement sensor a genuine mopar sensor? If not.... that may be part of the problem too..... Dodges are notorious for not liking aftermarket sensors in critical locations.

Quick Reply: 03 Durango issues. (Failing Pcm?) 4.7L 250k miles