1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Speedometer NEEDLES, new ones needed

Old 06-10-2019, 05:30 PM
just_danny31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Speedometer NEEDLES, new ones needed

I recently overhauled the boring old gauge faces that came with the car and it pops out much better.

HOWEVER, the needles do not conduct light hardly at all and appear very dim. Red LEDs behind it gave some improvement for the needles but not enough and I would rather have the needles replaced. Each needle kinda has its own brightness and I want to fix it so they're all as bright as possible. As you can see, the tips of the MPH and RPM needles are no longer lit, and it is hard to see at night.

Does anyone happen to have any information on new speedometer needles I can get?
Which other speedo needles fit? Do other vehicles have similarly fitting needles?
And at the very least, how can I make them brighter?

Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I don't know of anyone that sells them separately. Likely consider a 'non-user-serviceable' part, and you would need to get the entire cluster.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 AM
just_danny31

I mean there’s also junkyards that have the needles themselves and you can just pull them out. I’ve pulled needles out before not sure why there’s none others available

Old 06-11-2019, 07:31 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

probably not available because they dont really break or have any moving parts to them, (iirc) they are just a translucent plastic and the light shines in at the center, changing the needle likely wont affect how much light reaches the tip, you would need more light to make them brighter.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 PM
just_danny31

I’ve already improved the light behind them once. I upgraded from the crap incandescents that came with it (which might’ve damaged the hands) to red LEDs that are much brighter. All the red LEDs are the same bulb, however each needle is a different brightness

Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 PM
just_danny31

The RPM and MPH from the 2008-2014 CHEVY TAHOE will work for the 01-03 Durango/Dakota. However the side gauge hands do not work

Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by just_danny31
I recently overhauled the boring old gauge faces that came with the car and it pops out much better.

HOWEVER, the needles do not conduct light hardly at all and appear very dim. Red LEDs behind it gave some improvement for the needles but not enough and I would rather have the needles replaced. Each needle kinda has its own brightness and I want to fix it so they're all as bright as possible. As you can see, the tips of the MPH and RPM needles are no longer lit, and it is hard to see at night.

Does anyone happen to have any information on new speedometer needles I can get?
Which other speedo needles fit? Do other vehicles have similarly fitting needles?
And at the very least, how can I make them brighter?

With the upgrade, how much glare are you getting at night from the LED's? I assume that the LED's are no longer adjustable with the D's brightness selector or does it still work? I'm interested in doing something similar to my '00 Durango.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM
just_danny31

Any glare I get doesn’t bother me at all actually. I don’t think I get any. If you’ve ever been in a more modern car where the cluster is LED-backlit, it’s kinda the same deal here. The dimmer works slightly but not how it used to. I usually keep it high anyway honestly. However my glow gauges have a separate switch and dimmer for them

Last edited by just_danny31; 06-12-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
Old 06-12-2019, 02:06 PM
just_danny31

Also if you’d like I can send you links for an upgrade package on the cluster for a 2000 Dodge Durango

Old 06-12-2019, 02:40 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by just_danny31
Also if you’d like I can send you links for an upgrade package on the cluster for a 2000 Dodge Durango
That would be great, thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer NEEDLES, new ones needed