1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Leather vs Cloth seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leather vs Cloth seats

Hi guys, I have a Dakota and have been doing a lot of research on swapping out my cloth Dakota seats for durango leather seats. Pretty confident it can be done.
BUT my question is... Will it be worth it?
Are the leather seats more comfortable than cloth seats? Or is it essentially the same seat with a different covering?
Are all the 01-03 durango leather seats the same just different trims have different colors? Example, do the RT seats FEEL the same as SLT seats?
I understand the power durango seats can adjust lumbar and such which helps, but how about the general softness/plushness of them? I really want seats that are more plush. My current seats are fairly hard in my opinion.
I'm hoping somebody that has owned (or at least sat in) both cloth and leather 1st gen Durango seats will have an answer.
Worst case scenario I'll find a Durango for sale and pretend to be interested just to sit in the seats but I would rather not haha.
Thanks!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

I actually prefer cloth seats..... (even though my truck has leather....) Cooler in summer, more comfortable in winter, easier to clean and maintain.......

Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I honestly prefer leather because they are easier to clean. If you spill something on them they just wipe clean. If you spill something on cloth you can really never get whatever you spill on them out because it goes through the cloth into the foam of the seat. I also find leather more comfortable.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Suppose it depends on preference. Climate may have something to do with it as well. Leather gets HOT in the sun here.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:26 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Zingo
Hi guys, I have a Dakota and have been doing a lot of research on swapping out my cloth Dakota seats for durango leather seats. Pretty confident it can be done.
BUT my question is... Will it be worth it?
Are the leather seats more comfortable than cloth seats? Or is it essentially the same seat with a different covering?
Are all the 01-03 durango leather seats the same just different trims have different colors? Example, do the RT seats FEEL the same as SLT seats?
I understand the power durango seats can adjust lumbar and such which helps, but how about the general softness/plushness of them? I really want seats that are more plush. My current seats are fairly hard in my opinion.
I'm hoping somebody that has owned (or at least sat in) both cloth and leather 1st gen Durango seats will have an answer.
Worst case scenario I'll find a Durango for sale and pretend to be interested just to sit in the seats but I would rather not haha.
Thanks!

my dads 03 dakota with cloth seats felt the same as my 02 durango with the SLT+ leather, the only difference being the covering material. Id bet the seats are swappable, but i agree with the above, cloth is more comfortable IMO.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:29 PM
jims
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
my dads 03 dakota with cloth seats felt the same as my 02 durango with the SLT+ leather, the only difference being the covering material. Id bet the seats are swappable, but i agree with the above, cloth is more comfortable IMO.
Leather is better for sliding into and out of.. I guess your size could factor into your overall opinion ( not you specifically but generally ) . IMHO

Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In all reality, I don't think one is really any better than the other, just a matter of preference.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In all reality, I don't think one is really any better than the other, just a matter of preference.

this is exactly the case. (hence the IMO on the end, we could argue opinions all day long and get nowhere).

Old 01-10-2024, 06:08 AM
ArmandoMyers

In my opinion, swapping cloth seats for leather ones can be a great upgrade.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:48 AM
minnieevans

In terms of comfort, leather seats often have a more premium feel and can be softer and plushier compared to cloth seats. The material itself tends to age well and is easier to clean, making it a popular choice.
Regarding different trims, you're right that higher trims might have additional features like power adjustments and more, but the overall softness and plushness of leather seats can be quite consistent across the model.
If you're interested in more insights about leather seats, you might want to check out the blog on vonbaer.com. It could have some valuable information to help with your decision.

Last edited by minnieevans; 01-18-2024 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Leather vs Cloth seats