1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 09:52 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by bbddpp
Clutch and fan are off.
You posted this while I was writing the reply above. Glad you got it off. Don't buy a used radiator.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:20 PM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Right on thanks. Think I’ll order a new serpentine belt and radiator. Radiator fan, engine fan and engine fan clutch I’m 50/50 on. Already have the condenser. I think (?) that’s all I need to see if it will run, pretty sure anyway, and if I were to get it that far it would be bumper time. Oh and I guess I need a new upper radiator support. Mines pretty bent. Lower looks ok. Local yard had a $50 all you can carry day recently and I hope they do it again.

Since it’s been a year when I start putting stuff together again if I can’t find YouTube help I might check here with you guys especially if I’m missing some fasteners.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Think I would replace that bunged up pulley on there as well. Power steering pump?

Old 05-17-2021, 07:54 AM
bbddpp
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would replace that bunged up pulley on there as well. Power steering pump?
Yeah it’s been bugging me looking at it too. It’s the one on the far right as you look at the truck from the front. Spins freely so hopefully can’t be as tough to get on and off as the clutch fan was. At that point I think I’m ready to start rebuilding. Going to leave the water pump alone and hope. The truck has almost 200,000 miles on it so I want to put his little into it to get it running as possible. Don’t expect to get another hundred thousand out of it or anything. :-).

New fan clutch, engine fan, and serpentine belt ordered...Price just didn’t seem like it would be much cheaper with junkyard parts for this same stuff.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can rent the puller/installer for the p/s pulley from the parts store. Trust me, you WANT that tool. Makes the job MUCH easier.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:36 AM
bbddpp
Rookie

Thanks, I’ll return the clutch fan rental wrenches today and ask about that tool. May as well replace that as well. Hopefully no tougher than the fan clutch was with the proper tool. power steering - you are correct. Then hopefully I am done having to buy engine parts for this dang thing.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:36 AM
bbddpp
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can rent the puller/installer for the p/s pulley from the parts store. Trust me, you WANT that tool. Makes the job MUCH easier.
PS Pulley is a cheap part and the good removal tool is available at the same advanced auto parts where I got my clutch removal tool. So that’s a great suggestion thank you. Any idea what they charge to rent these and is it by the day or just a one time cost?

Old 05-17-2021, 01:25 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Is that the horn sitting at the bottom? Did the belt fall off when the accident happened? Put a wrench on the tensioner bolt, and put the belt back on. Run the truck for less than a minute, looking at the belt to see how it all lines up. Your water pump was probably near needing replacement anyway. You may find the fan and clutch at the junk yard. I believe the fan bolt tightens anti-clockwise. Use a big adjustable wrench and hit the handle with a hammer.

Water pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fan Clutch: https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automo.../dp/B000C3F3CA

Fan: https://www.ebay.com/i/223604891714?...hoC9rYQAvD_BwE
Before I get started with reassembly I need to make sure I’m not forgetting anything. In some videos I see a plastic shield across the bottom that the fan for the radiator feeds up through. It looks like that got lost in the accident. Is there a name for that part so I know what I am looking for as I imagine I need to put that in first before I start rebuilding the front. The piece you saw laying there by the way was not the horn but the motor for what was left of the radiator fan. At least I’m pretty sure that’s what it is.

You can kind of see it in this photo that there’s nothing down there and the fan motor with the green plug feeding into it it’s just laying there on the right.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Fan shroud, and yep, you need one. That, you CAN get from the junkyard.

Tool rental is pay once, get your money back when you return it. So, essentially free, in the end.....

Old 05-19-2021, 09:36 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

Hi all, first of all just want to again say thanks, you are a great community and I'd never be this far without you. Hopefully some others are lurking or find this later and some info in this thread can help them as well.

The part I am thinking I need is pictured below, can you confirm that's the fan shroud? The washer reservoir I assume is a different part, that looks intact, but this other piece is the one I'm a little confused on placement. Other than that, here's the current plan (if I'm doing anything out of order or should be doing something first like installing a headlight before the radiator is in the way, let me know, may as well do things earlier when easier, though I don't have the proper fasteners it seems to get a headline on I can find the screw types etc I am sure.

- Replace power steering pulley
- Install new serpentine belt
- Install new radiator engine fan blade
- Install new radiator clutch fan blade
- Install replacement radiator hoses upper, lower, and thermostat
- Install new radiator and radiator fan
- Install new condenser
- Turn on the engine and pray
- Install headlights and fog lamps
- Install front bumper
- Install front grille

Am I sort of in the ballpark here?

Some photos, including the mystery plastic piece and some other items -- Wondering if you guys recommend if I try and get any screws out of the bumper or radiator before I trash them for good, for use in the replacements. Of course I will take the fog lamp out that is stuck inside the bumper fascia. Otherwise I was planning to trash the radiator, bumper and fascia this week.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?