1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:26 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by bbddpp

Sure, thanks everyone. Here's the deets. Front end as well as radiator (at least) damaged due to speed of hit. Airbags not deployed. Interior and tires clear and great. Engine turns over. Electricals all intact and fine. All steering fluid leaked I believe as steering died. Estimate said $3800 to repair, street (claim) value $2100, $700 salvage value so $1400 to me if I keep it, $2100 to me if I let them have it. 191,000 miles and well loved.

Here's some pics!

That's a great builder. 4X4 right? I'm sure someone handy with tools will snap that up if you don't want to fix it for a "Beater with a Heater". The fact that the air bags didn't blow means the frame is probably good and the expense to put it back on the road will be low. New air bags are what REALLY cost. The safety features built into it did their job. Bambi might not be happy but you're okay and that's the important thing. Then again, if the Deer was carrying a rifle, it wasn't Bambi but was Bambo instead.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If its not deer its French tourists, lol. They totaled my '02 with 73k on it a while back. No airbag deployment. A lot of folks said "fix it", then they saw the frame (both sides) in front of the K-member pushed 6 inches to the driver side. If mine had your damages at that point in time I'd probably fix it.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 AM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha you guys rule. I love swapping war stories. Very generous offer on the headlight and the info on the fixes too. I’ve only ever done wiring work on cars never any body work or engine work so I do worry about skill level. It would be fun to try for sure. Estimate shows need for radiator and parts, side and inner brackets on both sides, deflector bar, bumper of course, headlight and fog light, and a good although the hood looks borderline to me but I can’t get it open due to the crushed impact bar (I’d love to know a way). Now you guys have me thinking keep again! How tough is it to roll in neutral from the street and make two right turns into my garage without power fluid you think?

Old 10-16-2019, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Get the hood open, I am going to guess that the power steering cooler got destroyed, and that's where all your fluid went. Bypass it, refill the system, and drive it into your work area. That looks really fixable.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (10-17-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:58 AM
bbddpp
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Get the hood open, I am going to guess that the power steering cooler got destroyed, and that's where all your fluid went. Bypass it, refill the system, and drive it into your work area. That looks really fixable.
I sort of like this challenge. I guess a pry bar under the bent safety bar couldn’t hurt anything to try and get the hood up. I’ll have to look up an instructional on the bypass. If it’s easy enough I may just give this a shot. I assume there’s no risk on delayed airbag deployment or engine fire for a quick start and drive is there?

Old 10-16-2019, 12:03 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Haha you guys rule. I love swapping war stories. Very generous offer on the headlight and the info on the fixes too. I’ve only ever done wiring work on cars never any body work or engine work so I do worry about skill level. It would be fun to try for sure. Estimate shows need for radiator and parts, side and inner brackets on both sides, deflector bar, bumper of course, headlight and fog light, and a good although the hood looks borderline to me but I can’t get it open due to the crushed impact bar (I’d love to know a way). Now you guys have me thinking keep again! How tough is it to roll in neutral from the street and make two right turns into my garage without power fluid you think?

Tin snips and a crow bar will get the hood open if it's trashed. As for rolling, uphill? Down? Do you have a receiver for a hitch on the rear? I have a little job I made years ago called "Mr. Thingie". It's 2 2X4's nailed together and trimmed on the ends with trailer ball couplers on each end. About 6 feet long, you hook one end onto the dead vehicle and the other to what you plan to move it with. You can then push or pull with the tow vehicle. You can steer without power assist, it's just really stiff and slow.

If I think about it, I'll take a picture of "Mr. Thingie" when I get home and post it. Chains and rope will pull, but this will push and pull.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:07 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I sort of like this challenge. I guess a pry bar under the bent safety bar couldn’t hurt anything to try and get the hood up. I’ll have to look up an instructional on the bypass. If it’s easy enough I may just give this a shot. I assume there’s no risk on delayed airbag deployment or engine fire for a quick start and drive is there?

You can pull the air bag fuse to prevent one. If you still have coolant in the engine, it will run enough to get in the garage. You don't want to run it anymore than you have to until you can assess the mechanical damage.

Here's a tip, if you fix it and the body parts of another car, say a red one, leave them alone. People don't cut off cars in traffic with mismatched body parts.

The following users liked this post:
bbddpp (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 12:21 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

Great tips. I’ll try the pry bar. Insurance isn’t pushing me for a decision on salvage vs keep so I guess I have a little time. I would not mind getting that hood open. Coolant is totally gone pretty sure judging from the white steam or smoke I saw under the hood as I pulled it off the exit but I only have to move it about 80 feet from the curb right turn into the driveway and right turn into garage. The two turns are sharp 90s tho. Never put a tow package on it sadly. Wish I had!

Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Great tips. I’ll try the pry bar. Insurance isn’t pushing me for a decision on salvage vs keep so I guess I have a little time. I would not mind getting that hood open. Coolant is totally gone pretty sure judging from the white steam or smoke I saw under the hood as I pulled it off the exit but I only have to move it about 80 feet from the curb right turn into the driveway and right turn into garage. The two turns are sharp 90s tho. Never put a tow package on it sadly. Wish I had!

I've seen Durangos with step bumpers like a pickup on the rear. There might be a place to mount a ball for a bit.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

You can drive it into your garage, as long as you're quick about it. Go slow as you may not have power brakes. The fan and water pump may be trashed too, depending on how far back that radiator went. Have someone push down on the hood while you try to pop it. A come-along or a chain tied to a tree (and you driving in reverse) may help straighten things out, enough to pop the hood at least and if further straightening is needed.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-16-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?