1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 04:38 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

hey you learned alot like being back in auto shop (do they still even have such a thing in our schools?) I didnt re read the whole thread but I just skimmed much of it (gonna go back and re read the whole thing when I get time)
so what ever became of this thing?

Old 10-29-2023, 07:03 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
hey you learned alot like being back in auto shop (do they still even have such a thing in our schools?) I didnt re read the whole thread but I just skimmed much of it (gonna go back and re read the whole thing when I get time)
so what ever became of this thing?
Volaredon.... now there goes a name I haven't seen in a long time. How's it working out with your 4.7? I know you used to hate them. I'm at 340K and running well with mine.

Op, I feel your pain. So much effort and time. I'd really consider Harry's in Hazelton for the steering rack. U pull it with decent prices, or do the parts have to be new?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-30-2023 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:01 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Still don't like the 4.7, mainly because I don't like the design of the timing chain system. Steel rubbing on plastic guides is the stupidest thing they could ever have come up with.
but I guess they had to catch up with the Joneses on such stupidity among the car makers.
The one I reluctantly had to buy is still holding together, at127k so far, but I don't have the cash to buy what I wanted, needed a truck and needed bank help to get one, and at that I got one the next to oldest year the bank would help me get.
This thing is a dog below 3k rpm then takes off like a shot.
Damn them for discontinuing the 318.
I'm in the market again, been looking for another 98-03 (prefer 01-03) Durango as my last 318 powered Dakota is getting too crusty underneath, I know that body and frame wise it isn't gonna be around long. But at 250k damn it still runs good and still barely uses a Qt of oil between changes.
And as much as I also hate 4 door vehicles were needing a 2bd one because we now have 2 grand kids in car seats.
And our existing Durango has a dead transmission with 312k miles, it will live again. (Not a 4.7 but a 360 there)
The body and frame are still in better shape than some I've looked at with 1/3 the miles.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:20 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
Still don't like the 4.7, mainly because I don't like the design of the timing chain system. Steel rubbing on plastic guides is the stupidest thing they could ever have come up with.
but I guess they had to catch up with the Joneses on such stupidity among the car makers.
While I know plastic chain guides have been an issue on some other engines/makes, I don't think chain guide failures have been a widespread issue with the 4.7L. I'm still on the original chain and guides. Chain looked good with very little slack when I did my lifters back in 2020. Basic care is all it needs. Good oil at the right level and coolant.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?