1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 PM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Reading your story gives me hope and a sick way excites me to try and fix this thing. Just to say I did it.

i see there’s some pretty cheap condensers and radiators on amazon so I’m going to go ahead and order them. Can anyone suggest any other items I would want to grab new that I won’t get at salvage? I figure 75 bucks for a rad and 42 for a condenser not bad. If I can keep the costs down on salvage and any other parts I can maybe get this thing fixed for a price I won’t feel like an idiot about wasting $ on. After all it’s got a rusting tailgate and driver door and 191,000 miles but the interior was well kept and the engine tranny and tires are goodness!

Old 10-24-2019, 08:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by bbddpp
Reading your story gives me hope and a sick way excites me to try and fix this thing. Just to say I did it.

i see there’s some pretty cheap condensers and radiators on amazon so I’m going to go ahead and order them. Can anyone suggest any other items I would want to grab new that I won’t get at salvage? I figure 75 bucks for a rad and 42 for a condenser not bad. If I can keep the costs down on salvage and any other parts I can maybe get this thing fixed for a price I won’t feel like an idiot about wasting $ on. After all it’s got a rusting tailgate and driver door and 191,000 miles but the interior was well kept and the engine tranny and tires are goodness!

Amazon is like Fakebook in that I don't use it. I did rebuild a Furd Focus I loaned to the kid, who then rear ended a brand new car going home from the dealer. A few junk yard parts and some beating with a DBH, but mostly parts off Ebay

Old 10-24-2019, 09:56 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

Prices actually look a little nicer on ebay. Right on. Thanks. Anything else you guys would recommend I get new other than radiator and condenser? I need a new fan too? Sure I could salvage those when I find my bumper, but may as well remove the bumper, replace the parts, get it running, then worry about the body pieces at the end.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:40 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Just wanted to add that I'd be afraid of a $75 radiator and $$42 condenser, I've been bitten by the cheap stuff more than once. I stick to name brands, but will say that prices on the same identical part/ same brand and all, do tend to vary WIDELY especially when dealing online.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:28 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by volaredon
Just wanted to add that I'd be afraid of a $75 radiator and $$42 condenser, I've been bitten by the cheap stuff more than once. I stick to name brands, but will say that prices on the same identical part/ same brand and all, do tend to vary WIDELY especially when dealing online.

If you're careful, and read the descriptions EXACTLY, you can do okay. If similar parts are much cheaper, it may be because it's a lighter duty part. I learned that the hard way. I still buy local when I need a part in a hurry. All the local owned stores have been run out f business though and the chains have raised prices a LOT.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:49 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

Right on, guys. Good info. I won’t get to taking it apart until next week and then we will see what’s what. I have a feeling I will need some additional radiator frame parts from salvage as well so may as well identify every piece I need so I can hopefully just make one trip over to the yard. Will do a little
more research on the new parts online as well.

Aporeciate you all!

Old 10-31-2019, 08:20 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Check your messages, Bbddpp.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:16 PM
bbddpp
Rookie

Hey guys I'm back, was out of town. Getting caught up on messages now. I started pulling parts off the body today. What I want to do is send some photos to you guys once they are off so I can be sure I get all the parts I need on the salvage yard run, making sure I don't miss anything that I can get if I locate the proper vehicle (rather get it all at once, whatever body parts I am using). Also can't quite tell if that bar that runs across the front above the bumper where the body meets the hood got bent in or not, might send some photos of that too.

Do junk yard places negotiate ahead of time or on site, or is the price the price? Would they be interested in my old dented bumper for scrap?

Old 10-31-2019, 09:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I don't know how many pics you can attach to a forum post..... but, I think you can at least do some.... Or, upload them to a hosting site somewhere, and then just hard link them to your forum post. (image tags, the 'mountain picture' button.)

Yes, we are pic ******. We ALL love pics.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:35 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't know how many pics you can attach to a forum post..... but, I think you can at least do some.... Or, upload them to a hosting site somewhere, and then just hard link them to your forum post. (image tags, the 'mountain picture' button.)

Yes, we are pic ******. We ALL love pics.

Especially naked (car) bodies.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Sadly Totaled - Salvage Advice?