1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Lost here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Stevedillon
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost here.

Was having transmission shift problems got code for governor solenoid. Chaged that out. Didnt replace the transducer, part store didnt have the part. I ordered the tranducer and while waiting for it to come in i was driving, at about 35 mph and when it went to shift up there was a sound similar to a backfire of some sort. Durango hesistated and acted like it wanted to to die.
made it home and now wont start was able to pull another code for the tps changed the tps out. But still no start. Cranks Like it wants to but just doesnt start after cranking three times it makes a puff noise out of the airhat. Gas being forced through throttle body i found out after taking intake and air hat off. Cant figure it out. Has spark. Plugs and wires were chaged afew months back. Water pump changed about 3 months ago. When trying to start it it smells like gas pretty bad also. Like flooding or bad gas. But i just filled it up the day this happened at the same gas station i always go to. And since i pulled the power to change the tps. There are no codes to pull any tips on where to go from here 2001 dodge durango 5.9 slt. 4x4 Just cracked 200k sorry about the terrible autocorrect...

Last edited by Stevedillon; 11-13-2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Spelling fix.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:40 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 346 Likes on 308 Posts

Can yon edit your post so it's readable? I tried to follow but so many words don't make sense. Gotta love autocorrect.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:41 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevedillon
Was having transmission shift problems got code for governor solenoid. Chaged that out. Didnt replace the transducer, part store didnt have the part. I ordered the tranducer and while waiting for it to come in i was driving, at about 35 mph and when it went to shift up there was a sound similar to a backfire of some sort. Durango hesistated and acted like it wanted to to die.
made it home and now wont start was able to pull another code for the tps changed the tps out. But still no start. Cranks Like it wants to but just doesnt start after cranking three times it makes a puff noise out of the airhat. Gas being forced through throttle body i found out after taking intake and air hat off. Cant figure it out. Has spark. Plugs and wires were chaged afew months back. Water pump changed about 3 months ago. When trying to start it it smells like gas pretty bad also. Like flooding or bad gas. But i just filled it up the day this happened at the same gas station i always go to. And since i pulled the power to change the tps. There are no codes to pull any tips on where to go from here 2001 dodge durango 5.9 slt. 4x4 Just cracked 200k sorry about the terrible autocorrect...

Takealittletimetosplityourwordsapartsowecanreadthe m.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:53 PM
Stevedillon
Amateur
Default Well

Jumped timing. Off about two teeth. Now the fun happens

Old 11-23-2019, 02:09 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

fun? a timing chain is an afternoon's worth of work. not a big deal. just DON'T buy the cheapest timing chain you find. best off going with a double roller.... on the other end of the line, you don't need to spend a fortune on billet, either.....

Old 11-24-2019, 12:01 AM
Stevedillon
Amateur

Yea. Just hoping i didnt bend valves, wreck pistons or anything. Chain didnt snap so hoping for the best

Old 11-24-2019, 12:32 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevedillon
Yea. Just hoping i didnt bend valves, wreck pistons or anything. Chain didnt snap so hoping for the best
While possible, the 5.9 isn't an interference engine.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Stevedillon
Amateur

I thought it wasn't. But i read pne thread where an dodge mechanic of 25 years said they were and then countless lists of interference engines with no mention odlf the 5.9

Old 11-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Stevedillon
Amateur

May swap the engine any ways. Current one just hit 201k and have my eyes on another with 176k on it. But i have to check it out. Its still in another durango. But the guy lost the keys and says when he stopped driving it thw water pump was leaking.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:40 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I have seen many with 300k+ when maintained.... and have seen them blown with 70k when not maintained. just replaced mine at 258k, cylinders still showed original crosshatch....
Id put a chain in your current motor if it was mine. if I got a replacement with over 100k I'd put a chain in it anyways before I dropped it in. My replacement engine had 136k on it when I got it, yeah it got all new gaskets, freeze plugs and a chain before it went in. "just because", easier to do when out of the truck. I plan to run til it rots into the earth.

Last edited by volaredon; 11-24-2019 at 12:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stevedillon (12-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Lost here.