1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rack and Pinion bushings question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 07:08 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and Pinion bushings question

Hey all. It's been a while since I posted around here (near the first time in this forum section) but I've got a question.

I have a 2003 Durango that I am currently overhauling the front suspension. Upper and Lower ball joints, Upper and Lower control arm bushing replacement with Energy Suspension PU, leaving the sway bar bushings alone since they appear to be A-OK, and the Rack and Pinion bushings. Of course, this all started when I set out to do the front brakes and noticed a ball joint rubber was cracked.

My question is if I can replace the Rack and Pinion bushings without having to drop the rack? Obviously I have to remove the bolts. Since both tie rod ends are disconnected from the knuckles (the knuckles have been removed) will the Rack get loose enough to enable me to just replace the bushings or do I have to plan on dropping the whole rack down whilst also disconnecting the steering shaft and the power steering lines?

Also, any sage advice on proper replacement of the Torsion bar adjusters while also installing the lower control arms, would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ljpierce_ely; 06-26-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:59 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

As a followup, I lowered the Rack and Pinion since it needed to be done anyway.

I got my own answers.

1. Yes, the rack and pinion CAN be lowered without removing, undoing, or otherwise disturbing either the steering shaft input or the power steering fluid lines.
2. In order to replace the bushings, a press setup of some sort is required. Ball joint/U-joint press will work with the right adapters. Bolts with nuts and washers along with sockets should work too. For replacements, I used the Energy Suspension kit. (Side Note, the kit is side specific. The bushings are labeled DRIVER and PASSENGER. Press required for installation.)
3. Have yet to figure out how to tighten the nuts to the required 190 ft lbs. At least the one on the drivers side can only use an open/boxed end wrench. Socket and socket wrench won't fit. Another conundrum to remedy.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Crowfoot wrench on your torque wrench. Will have to do some math for the torque correction though.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:50 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Crowfoot wrench on your torque wrench. Will have to do some math for the torque correction though.
Where would I locate the formula for the math? I've got crowsfeet but I honestly didn't even consider it since I do know the values would be changed if I did it this way. Thanks for kicking me in the head on it.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Here ya go.

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion bushings question