1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dies while in drive.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Christy Holloway
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies while in drive.

1999 Durango never had a problem out of this truck. But when I got it the check engine light was on. It's still on but never a problem. But today my dad was driving and it died in drive and anytime you try to take off in drive or when you press the gas it dies. But you can put it in second and it will do fine. Auto zone said it could be a sensor basically a vacuum leak. I need some good advise this is my only ride and can't afford another one I'm a single mom who can't work right now due to the virus going on. So anybody with any thoughts I'm all ears. Thanks

Old 08-18-2020, 09:28 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christy Holloway
1999 Durango never had a problem out of this truck. But when I got it the check engine light was on. It's still on but never a problem. But today my dad was driving and it died in drive and anytime you try to take off in drive or when you press the gas it dies. But you can put it in second and it will do fine. Auto zone said it could be a sensor basically a vacuum leak. I need some good advise this is my only ride and can't afford another one I'm a single mom who can't work right now due to the virus going on. So anybody with any thoughts I'm all ears. Thanks
have you ever had the check engine light checked to see which code?

is it an automatic transmission?

Old 08-18-2020, 10:07 PM
Christy Holloway

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
have you ever had the check engine light checked to see which code?

is it an automatic transmission?
No I haven't got it checked cause never had a problem out of it no misfires hesitation nothing. Yeah it's a 5.2 no 4x4

Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

No I haven't got it checked cause never had a problem out of it no misfires hesitation nothing. Yeah it's a 5.2 no 4x4

At the risk of sounding over simplistic you need to check the code ASAP they sell scanners for like $30 at harbor freight (of cost is an issue just return it they are pretty no questions asked about stuff)

it very well could be that whatever’s giving you the code was a minor problem until it got worse and now it’s dead as a result.

when you say it works in 2nd gear are you just putting the selector in the “2” on the gearbox? And then starting it?

if your driving it in “2” and then put it into 1 or into D does it just die right away?

”usually” only working in 2nd gear is a sign of the transmission being in what’s called “limp mode” that may or may not be the case here

transmission issues “usually” don’t result in the car just dying when touching the gas.

also, does the whole car shut off as in electronics and all? (Does the radio turn off and headlights turn off) or does it just putt putt out as if it’s out of gas?

Old 08-19-2020, 06:16 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 584 Likes on 529 Posts

You need to see what code is stored in the computer. One nice thing about Chrysler products is you don't need a reader to check the codes. Do what is called the key dance. Turn the ignition on, off, on, off and then leave it on the third time. Do not bump the starter. This tells the computer to go into self test mode. If you engage the starter, you'll have to start over. The codes will show up in the odometer display. On older (1995 and earlier) cars the check engine light will flash. OBD II, which is what you have shows the code as numbers. Once you have a code(s), post them here and we can go from that.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
You need to see what code is stored in the computer. One nice thing about Chrysler products is you don't need a reader to check the codes. Do what is called the key dance. Turn the ignition on, off, on, off and then leave it on the third time. Do not bump the starter. This tells the computer to go into self test mode. If you engage the starter, you'll have to start over. The codes will show up in the odometer display. On older (1995 and earlier) cars the check engine light will flash. OBD II, which is what you have shows the code as numbers. Once you have a code(s), post them here and we can go from that.
Not sure that works on the 98 and newer trucks..... worth a shot though.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Mawgman1

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not sure that works on the 98 and newer trucks..... worth a shot though.
Can confirm it works on the newer trucks, I have an 03 'Rango and they key dance works wonders...

Old 08-21-2020, 01:56 PM
bryce_crowder

I had a similar issue, but mine would idle rough and then die, if scanning for a code doesn't get you anywhere, look into a throttle position sensor. They're like $20-$40 and EXTREMELY easy to replace (two screws and it's right on top of the engine, literally just take the old one off and put the new one on). I've had no issues with dying or rough idle since.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by bryce_crowder
I had a similar issue, but mine would idle rough and then die, if scanning for a code doesn't get you anywhere, look into a throttle position sensor. They're like $20-$40 and EXTREMELY easy to replace (two screws and it's right on top of the engine, literally just take the old one off and put the new one on). I've had no issues with dying or rough idle since.
Scanning for codes doesn’t get you anywhere? That’s a pretty relative statement.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:47 PM
bryce_crowder

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
Scanning for codes doesn’t get you anywhere? That’s a pretty relative statement.
Because that issue doesn't trip the check engine light. The light could be on for a different reason that wouldn't point to that.

Quick Reply: Dies while in drive.